Houses - gone all strange

Hi
I am drawing a city map that I started in CC3 then have been using CD3 to do theroads, houses, etc and I have run into a problem.

The "House" button to insert houses by drawing a polygon has gone a bit odd and I cant seem to change it back.

On the attached image you can see some houses I have simply placed as symbols, and then some orange and a red box. These boxes are all different types of houses from the house button, but no matter what I use I get a big box of colour plus maybe a slightly different outline and/or a huge chimney stack.

If I open a new map I can draw houses as normal with the different styles, but not on this map. I guess this means that somewhere I have messed up a setting, but I cant find it for the life of me.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Iain

Comments

• Houses are on multiple layers. Have you hidden any layers ?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    How large is that section of the map you've posted in drawing units? Perhaps your scale is somehow messed up.
  • Thanks JimP - that fixed it - there was some of the house on the "Minerals and Mountains" layer (go figure?)

Unhiding that layer has fixed the issue.

My next problem is the "Random Street" tool

If I left click on it and draw on my map then I get a default set of random houses that are not what I want (too big, wrong type, etc)
    So I right click on the tool and bring up the settings, now no matter what settings I put -> click ok and the command bar remains on "Command[STREETOPT]:" and if I click anywhere to start my street the options box reappears.

Hmmm...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: darkveilIf I left click on it and draw on my map then I get a default set of random houses that are not what I want (too big, wrong type, etc)
    So I right click on the tool and bring up the settings, now no matter what settings I put -> click ok and the command bar remains on "Command[STREETOPT]:" and if I click anywhere to start my street the options box reappears.
    That is normal CC3 behaviour. If you do not select another commands, a left click will repeat the previous command. Remember that the "Street Options" command is a separate command from the "Random Street" command. After having configured the settings, you need to actually start the random street command by clicking on the button.
  • Monsen - Thankyou ... Do I feel like a chump :-)

while this software produces fantastic stuff, I'm sure that it is doing odd things to my brain.
  • I'm popping up in this discussion because the last topic is (in a very general way) bound to my question...

I've been playing with "random streets" options. All is working fine but... is there a possibility to set the random street to be curved and not only a straight line? I did not find any clue about that.
    Yes. When you place the street, it first asks for the "first end of street". If you click on an entity (for example a curved road or other line), the random street will follow this line.
  • Yes, that's the method I used so far. But the street has to be already present.
    It's absolutely not a big issue because the method you described works wonderfully, I was just curious about the possibility to do directly with the random street tool both street and houses at the same time.
  • 1 year later
  • I am having the same problem as the original poster (houses show as a thin outline around a block of color), but the solution (unhide all layers) does not work. The big block of color effect happens even in the preview mode from the Houses button. Sigh.
    Does this happen if you create a new map from scratch as well, or only in your current map?