CC3+ Drawing a cave system gives artifacts

Hi all,

I've been trying to redraw an old map of a cave system. It is scanned image of a handrawn map, it is a big map with 16 rooms all connected with corridors and dead ends. So I inserted the file in the background layer and then started drawing over it. Intending to hide the background layer when I was finished copying the map.

I am using the SS4 Dungeons of Schley symbol set with cc3+ 3.97. My computer has an i7-4710MQ cpu with 8gb of ram and a geforce GTX 860M graphics card. I am drawing the cave on a 52x36 metric canvas. I first drew the hallways and after that, using the edit function, added the rooms. This gave me a lot of artifacts, so I deleted the whole entity and started over but to no avail.

The issue I am having is, while using the 'Cave' drawing tool, a lot of unwanted lines seem to be showing up ... below you can find a screenshot with the issue clearly visible.

I tried changing the drawing method to path/polygon which seemed to help, but then I could not edit the entity as with the fractal polygon.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Best Answer

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 2022 Accepted Answer

It may be that you have too much fractalisation going on, since those kinds of artefacts tend to happen when there are nodes too close together.

If you have thousands of nodes when you use Info List on the entity (just to make sure I'm right about that), try using the keyboard command SIMPLIFY to reduce that node count. Even if you use quite a small factor the command will at least remove the nodes that are causing the artefacts.

If SIMPLIFY is the answer, delete the wall or the floor that you didn't simplify, and use change like drawing tool to replace the missing part identical to the simplified shape.

Baruto Saiga

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 2022 Accepted Answer

It may be that you have too much fractalisation going on, since those kinds of artefacts tend to happen when there are nodes too close together.

If you have thousands of nodes when you use Info List on the entity (just to make sure I'm right about that), try using the keyboard command SIMPLIFY to reduce that node count. Even if you use quite a small factor the command will at least remove the nodes that are causing the artefacts.

If SIMPLIFY is the answer, delete the wall or the floor that you didn't simplify, and use change like drawing tool to replace the missing part identical to the simplified shape.

Baruto Saiga
  • I had about 4000 nodes :p zo yeah, that was a lot.

The simplify command didn't seem to work as expected but the culprit was obvious. Thus redrawing with a lower fractalisation did the trick.

Loopysue