FT3 and Wilbur

I'm running a world that I discovered in FT3+ through the Israh tutorial. I've progressed to the point of doing the regional maps and have a question about the Wilbur portion. I took a region through the 2nd Wilbur run of fine erosion and am curious about something: Is Wilbur deterministic in its operations. By this I mean if I ran the same sequence of steps multiple times (fresh file to step x) would I get the same results, aka the same river flow patterns. A variant of this is if I had regions that overlapped one another, would the overlap have the same river flow patterns on both regions in the area of overlap. Mostly just curious.

Something I found out tonight that I didn't know before was I could export a region from FT3+ to Wilbur, erode in Wilbur, save the eroded MDR file, and import that back into FT3+ as a region on a globe using a binary import. In FT3+ it didn't give all the plethora of rivers and tributaries that Wilbur did, but I thought this was very cool. 😀

Loopysue

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

More or less at a world scale, but probably not if you zoom in to the map. That's because the noise used to roughen the surface prior to the erosion will be different each time. So the difference is in the fine details.

FT3, while capable of working to very high resolutions, can't match the level of detail you might achieve in a regional area in Wilbur, but you can help by setting FT3 to maximum editing resolution before you burn the imported data into the surface.

jbclaypool
  • 8 days later
  • Thought I would put up some pictures of what I'm working on.

The world

Focus area

I split the focus area into 4 sub-regions to import into Wilbur for fine erosion. I still have to get all the fine rivers into FT3: currently trying to run rivers at a resolution of 32000 to do that, tried 20000 and didn't work so going for the gusto. If not I'll use the Wilbur river maps as an overlay in FT3 and export from there. I don't know why I like this world, it just appeals to me. Focus area is several million square miles (world is 36,000 mi in circumference).

LoopysueTheschabiMonsenScottA