request thread using the Peter Fenlon style pack from the January 2008
Annual:

If anyone is interested in participating, here's a link to the EN World
Free Map Request Thread:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221796

jaerdaph

Comments

• DkarrDkarr Traveler
    That is an awesome map Jaerdaph. These are the kinds of map that always inspired me. Well done.
  • Jaerdaph,

What are the dimensions of this map?

--Robert
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    The FCW map is 1275 x 850. However, this is not the actual dimensions the map is supposed to be - it should be 330 x 510 miles. I had some issues creating a single image from two separate scans of a handdrawn orginal map (getting it to be proportional to 330 x 550), and I started the project in CC3 before I realized there were two different settings for Fenlon sheet effects - Fenlon Style and Fenlon Style Small, so I made the units in CC3 bigger to accomodate the sheet effects looking right. Now I know better - use Felnon Style Small for smaller area overland maps. :)

I also had to customize a Fenlon template to match the dimensions/proportions of the image, so I redrew the map background, the white multipoly frame mask (which is essentially invisible) around the map area to cover up any overflow of symbols etc. past the map border, that sort of thing.

All of this serves to remind me I didn't include a scale bar or a directional compass. My bad...

Also, the symbols for cities, towns, etc. don't actually come with the Fenlon style pack. I created a CC3 symbol set from the AutoREALM true type font of mapping symbols, which I've attached below.
  • 1 month later
  • Jar know this is a bit late but you can get the scale to work with the distance etc tools fairly easy.. This is for your case (and by the way great looking map)

go to file - drawing properties, click on Drawing units and adjust it to (i think I've not had a lot of sleep) 0.25882 if i'm not wrong that should give you in the map the right scale.
  • Hi there - the map looks really great. Can i ask how you did the text with the white border please ?
    Thanks for the tip, Rob. :)
    Posted By: nichollsrHi there - the map looks really great. Can i ask how you did the text with the white border please ?
    The white bordered text is done with sheet effects. The Peter Fenlon templates come with pre-set sheet effect settings, but if I know me, I probably futzed with them a bit (I can't remember).

When I get home, I'll check my map and give you the sheet effects and the settings used for this map. Depending on the size of your map, you may have to adjust the setting numbers in the effects to get it to look right with your map.