Discord Server

I was wondering if ProFantasy has a Discord server?

If so, what's the URL?

Thanks

MadCartographer

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

No, ProFantasy doesn't maintain a Discord server.

• The Cartographers' Guild has a discord server that can probably be found with a quick Google. It's not active all the time but fairly steady occasional activity.

A lot of people there use photoshop or hand-draw but Campaign Cartographer isn't uncommon to come up either.

roflo1
  • Profantasy doesn't have a discord server but there is a discord server dedicated to CC3. Its called CC3 Public. I have no idea how to send an invite though as I rarely use Discord for anything. It isn't very busy because I don't think a lot of people know about it.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I don't do Discord. I like helping people, but having to explain everything every single day all over again for the rest of however long I am able to help simply doesn't appeal. Forums are better repositories for knowledge. That way I only have to write one good response and then I can refer to it after that, meaning that I have time to make new art as well.

Quentin Le Garrec
  • You can actually do the same thing on Discord, Sue, as long as you have the URL for the specific posting (which can also be pinned to a specific channel in the Discord if you have admin access, or set up as a thread by anyone - although threads go inactive after a very short time if nobody else posts there, and can be much harder to find in general). The disadvantage is Discord restricts the length of what you can post per individual posting, something that can be overcome to an extent providing you have a paid-for subscription of some kind (bit vague as I've never gone down that particular rabbit-hole).

I tend to agree that the Forum is a much better place for explanations though, and Discords do have a tendency to get cluttered-up with many short, and largely irrelevant, conversational notes very quickly sometimes, commonly with people asking the same things over and over again because they hadn't realised the answer was given as little as a few hours back sometimes (depends how active the Discord is).

Hadn't come across the CC Public Discord, and have no idea how you'd get access to that either.

• edited December 2021

I definitely agree that Discord's strength is in creating a community, and not as strong as a forum for things like debugging and tech support. Discord can also be overwhelming to people who don't deal with apps all the time like the younger folks do. I don't think there is ever a threat that a Discord community would replace the forums. I think ideally a Discord server becomes a place where people talk and share, and sometimes link back to the forums or create articles out of what comes out of discussions.

That being said, sometimes too much space for community can get people into thinking there isn't as much going on as there should be, and I could see that being an issue when it comes to Discord.

It is also worth mentioning that if a Discord server was ran by the folks on the forums it becomes yet another moderation responsibility and a place to duplicate/sync efforts, which isn't a very efficient usage of their time. The discord server would most likely have to come out of those people who want it to happen.

JimP
  • I just started a discord server for anyone interested. I did find the CC3 Public server, but after looking around I realized the owner is inactive and so there isn't much room to develop a community there.

Feel free to join, https://discord.gg/tVvZqemKUf

Server is still under construction, but it has a lot of base functionality.

Winchester