Cosmographer Gas Giant Question

I am thinking this is a bug, but it might be a setting issue. I am placing planets in a solar system. All of them have the planet where the cursor is, except for the gas giant. When I click that, it is far off to the top right.

I am using the Traveller Sector and flat planet symbols.

Tagged:

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2021

That's intentional for the traveller symbols. The gas giant symbol isn't a primary planet in it's own regard, it is an indicator that a gas giant is present in the system, just as with the bases, and other information, basically just a modifer for the main planet symbol.

JulianDracos
  • That just seems dumb and not sure of the benefit of that instead of just having it where my mouse pointer is, but OK. I don't suppose there is a fix for this?

• I'm not sure i understand this.

I place a planet symbol in a hexagon. A G in the upper right for a gas giant present.

The only time I use the gas giant symbol is to draw a solar system.

So. I'm confused what you are asking about.

• I am using the Traveler System Bitmap with the Cosmo bitmap A flat symbols. I can click on any planet and there are cross hairs. The planet is in the center of the cross hairs. I can then place the planet and it is exactly where the cross hairs are.

However, if I click the gas gaint, I get the cross hairs. However, the gas giant is not at the center of the cross hairs. It is in the upper right of the cross hairs. The gas giant stays the same distance from the cross hairs as I move them. It appears to be the only symbol that behaves this way.

• Oh, I just place each planet symbol on the orbit I want it on. I didn't notice the gas giant doing that.

• edited December 2021
    I've had a quick look and get the same issue as @JulianDracos.

I used the new map wizard to start a "Traveller Small System" map, this uses Cosmo Bitmap A Traveller Systems as the Planets Catalogue.

All planets appear under the cursor, except for Gas Giants, which are shrunk and to the top right of the cursor - which would be the expected behaviour for a Traveller type hexagon sector / sub-sector map, not for a system map.

(Edit: maybe not shrunk)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Yes, the system template uses the same symbol catalog as the Traveller sector and subsector maps, so the behaviour of the gas giant is a bit odd there.

If you want to fix it, add the Gas Giant symbol to your map, but don't place it yet. Open the Symbol Manager nad "Edit" the gas giant symbol. "Move" the included bitmap, click the center of the image as the origin of the movement, then place it at 0,0. Close the editing window and save it. In this drawing the symbol should now get placed centered as the planet symbols.

Theschabi