Is Save as svg possible?

Hi folks!

I've been asked for an svg export of my dune map, and while I did find out that that's a scalable vector graphic file and I see that this should be possible (after all we do get all the coordinates if we look at the list of an entity) I did not see a "save as svg" option, but maybe I just didn't recognise it as I'm new to this file format...

Comments

• I don't think you can export a file as an SVG directly from CC3+. The topics covering SVGs on the Forum have mostly concentrated on converting SVG files to something that can be used in CC3+, for instance. It should be possible to take one of CC3+'s graphic exports (JPG, BMP or PNG) and convert that to an SVG file however. Not sure if that will be suitable for what you need, but there are free SVG converters online to try.

• I am not sure it would be any better than conversion from PNG to SVG, but you can save in one of the autocad formats. Then, open it using autocad or similar program. Then you can save the file as a SVG.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

CC3+ doesn't directly support SVG output. As JulianDracos suggests, saving as a DWG and then converting to SVG will keep the basic vector nature of the entities, but the fills and sheet effects will be lost. Printing to a PDF will generate an image and save it in PDF format, so that's perhaps not particularly useful, despite the number of PDF to SVG converters and even SVG printer drivers.

roflo1
  • I see. As we are primarely interested in the borders of the areas to be highlighted in the web-app the dwg to svg route should work. I'll have to find a CAD programm capable of converting these though.

Related question: Is there a way to export the informations we get from the list command? that was my first idea, but I couldn't find it either. It's probably not necessary anymore but I'd like to know just out of curiosity.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You can export the List information to a text file by clicking the T in the top left corner of the blue window.

• Oh wow, I did not identify that as a clickable button at all. Thanks Sue! I'm sure this'll be handy one day!

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

That's the standard windows system menu. Nearly all programs/windows have a menu there.

• Good to know, never thought of that :D

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Most programs these days have some sort of visual mouseover behavior to assist with identifying areas that carry an action. I'd like to see text windows like LIST as something that can be dragged out of the little drawing area. Then again, I'd also like to see the chrome on the child windows (drawing and otherwise) match the main application instead of being Windows 7 style. That's a Microsoft bug / (deliberate decision to get you to upgrade your application's style), though, and requires some significant plumbing to fix.

• I always disregarded that symbol as a spot for the symbol of the program. I never thought that that's a standard windows button with a functionality ^^

Now you told me so I see them everywhere 🙈

• OK, strange problem here:

I tried to "save as dwg" the first time after the upgrade to 3.96

When I do, it opens the explorer window to ask me where I want to save it to. I choose the name and select "DWG" in the drop down menu and click SAVE. The explorer window closes and in the bottom left corner it states "Command [Export]:"

When I click anything the explorer window pops up again with the prior selected folder, but the dwg file is not there.

Does anyone know what's going on here?