Refreshing an old map with new textures

2»

Comments

• More questions arising during layer / sheet clean up.

I have a layer called 'Battle' I am planning to delete that visually looks empty if I hide all other layers except that one.

As If I do [Info] - [List], Select all, Do It. I see:

Which suggests there are 4 battle symbols on this layer. But I don't visually see them anywhere.

If I show the 'Symbol Definition' Layer, I can then see the four symbols.

How have the battle symbols ended up on two layers? Can anyone explain to me what's going on here?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The SYMBOL DEFINITION layer is where all the symbol definitions live. When this layer is hidden, all symbols in the map gets hidden.

What you see on the BATTLES layer is the symbol references, that point to the definition on that layer.

Tez McArt
  • to

Still some work to do in putting the text labels on different layers to control how busy the labelling is but over all, quite pleased with my efforts so far.

So the map is 3840 x 2160, and if I save it as a JPEG comes out at around 7 MB.

I wanted to save a high res version to allow folks to really be able to zoom in, but I'm hitting an issue with running out of memory.

Is this due to the 32 bit nature of CC, capping out at 4GB addressable memory? My PC is a gaming rig with 32Gb RAM & a GTX 3080 graphics card, so I wouldn't expect any issues from the machine itself.

Are there anyways around this if I wanted to say save a 11520 x 6480 image?

[Deleted User]JimP
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

What is your anti aliasing settings? These affect max export size in a big way.

My standard export size for the community atlas maps is 8192 pixels in the largest dimension, with 25% antialiasing which normally gives me no trouble at all.

In any case, a way to export maps beyond your capabilities is to export them in tiles instead of the whole thing at once.

And yes, running out of memory in this context is running out of the 4gb it can address.

Tez McArt
  • I had the anti-aliasing on 100%, I shall try adjusting the settings there to get a good result.

Cheers for the tip.