Is there a live chat for asking simple questions? Discord, IRC, etc.

venn177venn177 Newcomer
edited November 2021 in Community Support

I just bought CC3 in the Humble Bundle, and there are some things that feel a bit obtuse, but the tutorials I'm finding don't really explain properly. Is there some place I can go for asking simple questions without just clogging up the forum?

In this particular situation, I'm trying to mess around with one of the city symbols, and when I try and create terrain, sometimes it goes over the water, and sometimes it just overwrites the land itself. And I'm not sure exactly what determines when it does one or the other.

And things like that feel like they're not necessarily in need of a full-on thread or anything.

Answers

• Sheets determine that.

Sea

Land

Lake

Symbols

Text.

The sea is drawn first, text last.

• Using the 'Cities of Schley' style, if I use "Terrain, Background Grass" it only goes over placed water and rivers if I put it on the Background Islands sheet, but if I do that with "Terrain, Sand" and change the sheet to Background, it still overwrites water. What can I do to fix this?

• I actually ended up figuring it out! Apparently when I change the sheet at the top, it doesn't do so based on the drawing tool selected. Which I didn't realize.

So I think I'm slightly an idiot.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi venn177 :)

Don't worry - ask anything you like. We don't mind at all.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

@venn177 wrote:

Apparently when I change the sheet at the top, it doesn't do so based on the drawing tool selected. Which I didn't realize.

Yea. The default behavior of drawing tools and symbol sis to pick their own sheet. This can seem weird/annoying at times, but generally one tends to end up putting things in the wrong places much more often if they didn't do that, so the net result is that this behavior is quite nice.

Note that (almost) all these tools are prefixed based, for example the landmass tool in most overland styles look for a sheet name starting with LAND. If your current sheet does so, it stays on that, if not, it goes to the main LAND sheet. You can use this when you create new sheets to get the tools to put things where you need it.

LoopysueEdE