railway tracks

Is there a suitable road pattern for realistic railway tracks - I've got all the add on's and can't seem to find one.
The best I can do is make a double black line.
but im more after
++++++++++++++++ this soort of thing. A line with perpendicular crossing lines.

any ideas?

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited September 2009
    Here's a link to thread where this came up before that has a few suggestions: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=610&page=1

If you just want black lines, you could probably create a simple railroad tie symbol and use the Draw Symbol Along command on one of the track lines (or a temporary line that runs between the two tracks that you can erase out later) - that might be a good option.
  • Yeah, Linda's railroad track symbols. Just follow the link in jaerdaph's post.
  • As pretty as they are Linda's railway tracks don't look quite right with the way real tracks must transition into curves (unlike most model railway tracks). What I do is to select a medium grey & dray my line. This becomes the first rail of the track. I then select a medium to dark brown & do (CA13_Ridge.FSC) in varicolor. I make my appropriate settings change for the tool & use this tool to populate down the ties for the railway. I can then move the grey rail to the front so it is above the tracks. I use the move tool to move the rail on top of the ties so that the ties stick out slightly on one side & a lot on the other. Copy the rail & place it so it is on the opposite side of the ties with a little bit of tie showing between the two rails & on the outsides. Done & rather quickly.

If the tracks are fairly close in, I will give them their own sheet & add a slight blur effect & a directional shadow.