Several Issues

I did try to search first on these topics but could find nothing, so I apologize if I am asking repeat questions.

1.) WHERE do I find the farmland symbol in CC3? I have all but pulled my hair out trying to find it.

2.) Anyone in the US with good knowledge of this program so I do have to wait days for email answers, or make horribly expensive international calls?

3.) How do I redraw a section of a coast line without having to redraw the entire coastline?

4.) According to the booklet that came with the program there is supposed to be a full manual available for download here somewhere, but once again I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

5.) Any word on when this program will be upgraded to work properly on Vista?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2008
    1) I don't think there is a bitmap symbol for this, but most of the vector catalogs contain a farmland symbol. Just hit the "Vegetation" catalog button, and then toggle through the styles with the Symbol Style Toggle button in the left toolbars.

2) People using these forums are from all over the world, also from the US. There are also many knowledgable people here, so you usually get a fas reply. Other than that, emails to ProFantasy usually gets a response very quickly, as long as you email them on a workday and keep the time difference in mind.

3) When activating the default land draw tool (And with a lot of other draw tools and functions as well), the command line reads "E - Edit". Just hit E, select a starting point on your coastline. Draw the new coastline. Right click to end drawing, select a ending point on the original coastline, left click to accept the edit.

4) The manual is currently being written by Allyn. I don't know exactly when it will be finished, but it looks good so far.

5) According to ProFantasy, all known Vista issues have been resolved. If you have installed the latest patch (3.20), and still have problems, you should contact ProFantasy tech support directly to report your issue.
  • Thank you that solved most of my issues. But I am very puzzled as to why they would put a program out on the market without the manual being completed. Seems like very poor business practice to rely on past users to answer new users questions rather than have the manual finished and available.

As for the Vista issue. The patch MIGHT correct it if I could get it to download properly and apply itself. Every time I try to apply it, it has some kind of error. The reason I say some kind of error, is that I do not speak German and the error message window that pops up is in German. So I can't even tell what the problem is. I am contacting them about it.

New issue how to I draw in an inland sea or really BIG lake? I tried using the coast tool and it just drops in behind the landmass. I tried drawing a poly with the proper fill, but then when I try to draw rivers to it, they snap to each other or shoot across the map to get to a coast line. Infuriating!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I can't really speak for ProFantasy regarding their business decisions, but usually, the people who writes the manual are different from the people who makes the problem, and it makes no sense to hold a program back for a long time because the manual isn't finished. The program does ship with help files, and the CC2 manual, which covers almost everything you need, except for CC3's new features, like effects, are downloadable from your registration page (Sorry I forgot to mention that in my first reply). A Quick-Start guide to get you started is also included with CC3, I assume you have seen this, as it was linked from the program download page. I believe the installer puts it on your HD as well, but I don't remember this.

As for the Vista issue, I hope PF Tech support can help you out there. I haven't seen any German messages when installing patches, so I can't tell you what that is all about. Services like Babelfish or Google Translate can help you translate the error message if you wish to read it though.

There is a lake tool in the river tool set. Right click on the river button, and select the "River, Lake" draw tool (Exact tools available will depend on the template you used for your map. This lets you create a lake on the correct sheet so it will be visible.
  • Torvaldr, regarding the error message in German, I would suggest contacting Profantasy's tech support (as you mentioned you have done). CC3 is written primarily in English (as Profantasy is located in London that probably makes sense!) I find it very very strange that you would be receiving a German error message (assuming you are using an English version of CC3 that is, this would all be moot if you were in fact, German). You will receive help within 24 hours of your message being sent. If you do not receive a reply within that time (give or take a couple of hours of course) it would be wise to resend the message (strange things happen on mail servers and the message could easily have been lost, or misdirected or something). Profantasy is known for excellent tech and customer support.

To make a lake you must place it on a different sheet and then make sure that sheet is drawn after the land mass sheet (imagine transparency sheets). The order a sheet is drawn in is determined by where it is located on the "Sheets" list. The order is from top to bottom so the first sheet listed is always drawn first and the last one listed is drawn last. Also note that if you wish to draw an island on that enclosed lake, the island must be placed on yet another sheet (so that it can be drawn on top of the lake) and that sheet should be ordered to draw after the lake.

An interesting way to place a lake and island that could also work is to create a multipoly land mass with a lake-sized hole, and then have the lake be the exact size of said hole. If you wished an island in the lake, make a hole in the lake and then fill that hole with a land mass the exact size of the hole, but placed on the main land mass sheet. The lake could then be placed on the water sheet (this works because of the nice lake-sized holes that would allow the water to peak through!) This might be more trouble that it's worth though but either method will work. CC3 is versatile enough to allow many different ways to accomplish a given task.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited April 2008
    Posted By: LatharionI find it very very strange that you would be receiving a German error message (assuming you are using an English version of CC3 that is, this would all be moot if you were in fact, German).
    I bet it has something to do with Ralf, who lives in Germany, working on the program. :)
  • I am still waiting to hear back on the error, though it is really moot at this point. Someone else got back to me about downloading the patch from a different location and it installed okay.

As for the manual. I can't find the CC2 manual either. It is not in the download section of the Profantasy website, so where is it? It did not come with the program as far as I can tell. And the Essentials book is too basic. It was not able to answer the above questions I had.
  • Look on your registration page, the one where your serial numbers are listed.

Look for the 8 megabye Cartography Suite on the right side of the page.
  • You DID remember to register your serial, didn't you? ;)

The availability of the manual is tied to the registration of the software in question. Also notice that any offers for % off that involve said products will also vanish from your registration page (since you already own said products), and any patches or updates will also become available.
  • Yes I did register. I just didn't know that was where the manual was. I have downloaded it now. It is too bad it does not fit in my old CC1 manual binders.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    edited April 2008
    Posted By: jaerdaph
    Posted By: LatharionI find it very very strange that you would be receiving a German error message (assuming you are using an English version of CC3 that is, this would all be moot if you were in fact, German).
    I bet it has something to do with Ralf, who lives in Germany, working on the program. :)
    Those were not actually error messages. Only Ralf knows the evil he has put in to CC3... Ia, Ia Cthulhu fhtagn! =)