Another version of Jerion

Hi Everyone :)

I've been playing with the Climate map feature of FT3 during my coffee breaks, and though I'm probably not the first to think of using it as a false colouring system I wanted to show you that you can get some interesting results.

TheschabiMonsenGlitchDaltonSpence

Comments

• I like the snow capped mountains but how visible would they actually be from space? (I suppose it depends on how high they were.) Could you add some polar ice caps or continents to the top and bottom of the map?
  • LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 28 images Cartographer ProFantasy

Thanks Dalton :)

I've only been messing around so far, so anything is possible. The ocean side of the map is only a blue gradient right now. I think icecaps should be possible, as should deserts, but they would require some handy temperature and rainfall painting.

• Or you can paint the icecaps using the climate painter. With no land at either pole, the distribution would be affected only by where the warmer (rapidly cooling) currents approached the pole, and where the cold currents left it.

• LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 28 images Cartographer ProFantasy

It's not been painted at all just yet. I wanted to see what I could do without any painting.

• Snow capped from space, depends on how much area the mountains cover. A single snow capped mountain in an area of mountains, probably not.

Several square miles, the minimum size I have no idea, of snow caped mountains should show up.

I used to look at a NASA site years ago that you could search for geographic locations such as; delta, river, basin, lake, peninsula, etc.

This is the closest I can currently find.

• There is Google Earth. As a view from space, then theoretically what you see on there is what you would see from space. I can see the snow covered mountains in Alaska when I am 11,500 km high. I see snow on Iceland and Norway at that distance as well. I may be able to see it higher, but they have clouds on at that distance. While I can see some lighter areas when look at the Alps, I really cannot tell it is snow until 5500 km.

At 17,000 km I can see ice covered Greenland, snow in parts of the Himalayas, and a small section of snow in the Andes.

In terms of width, I think around 30 km is enough to been seen from space if there is enough snow. I measured a part of Iceland that I could tell had snow and that was the distance. Most other areas seem 100+ km for it to show up at that height.

JimP