Integrating CC3 Maps Into the Unity Engine

If I created a CC3 map, does anyone know how to integrate the map (with layers/sheets) into the Unity Engine? In other words I am NOT looking to just input a picture of the map, but I am wanting to preserve layering. I know that CC3 can give a number of output file formats, but has anyone actually done it (or have advice on how to)?

Thanks!

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Sounds like an interesting, but also very difficult project. A CC3+ map is just a few bits of text really (stored in a binary format) that describes the layout of the entities in the map, so that means that unity would basically need to implement the full render from CC3+ to be able to turn that information into a visual representation of the map.

Lee started talking about the .fcw file format here. Unfortunately, he never finished the job:

choppinlt
  • Monsen, yes I quite like to think it's interesting. ;) And yes it's quite difficult. I'm not a programmer in Unity, but I am asking to try and help the programmer out. We are in the process of making an operational level computer wargame, and I am wanting to use CC3 for the game maps. So we are in the process of trying to find the most efficient and effective method to do that.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

You can also try exporting as an AutoCAD DXF file and try importing that file into Unity. You'll be missing a lot of stuff from that export, though. For example, you probably won't be able to get the custom entities or effects across. I don't know if the format of the special entities like FSLOD, effects, shaded polygons, or any of the custom things that make CC3+ more than just FastCAD have ever been made public.

choppinlt
  • Thanks @jslayton! That option had caught my attention as well, but as you suggest I'm not sure what is going to be lost in the process.