Help with Traced Command

I am trying to make an intricately shaped dungeon based on circle. Since CC3 does not have polar cooridnates for it grid, I did it in GIMP. The center of the image is supposed to be hollow (think doughnut).

Anyway, I import the image just fine. I then use the Traced command. That works. However, if I leave the fill style as solid, then the entire image is filled in. I changed it to hollow. That works to outline the image. However, the "walls" are also hollow. If I change properties to fill, then the entire image is full including the center I want open.

When I select the outside part of the image, it says I have selected two entities. However, when I go to list, it only shows one. I think there are too many nodes. It lists like 3900+, but stops listing around 3840. I was thinking if I have find out what each layer is then I may be able to change the appropriate thing or delete whatever is there besides the outline for walls.

I then thought that since I now have the imaged traced into a sheet, I could go to the wall layer and trace by hand. It wants to work, but it freaks out. I click the start but then when I go to end well extra lines start appearing and it really does not want to do anything.

I then looked at the instructions here:https://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/leveraging-the-new-features-of-cc3-update-22/

Per that, I should be able to change the drawing tool. I did that to walls, but it is still hollow. It just looks better in the outline.

I have tried tracing by hand, but it is too inexact. Things are not going to match up and if I use snap, the square grid is not going to match the polar grid.

Thoughts?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It's really difficult to imagine what you are describing, Julian. Please can you give us a few screen shots to work with, or the FCW file?

JulianDracos
  • If what you're trying to do is create a doughnut shape - something like a circle with a more or less circular hole in the floor of the overall shape - it would almost certainly be easier to create that using the Multipoly command in CC3+ than what I think you're describing here.

The fact you've created something in GIMP you're now trying to trace suggests what you're trying to do may be a lot more complex than that, but as Sue said, without some graphics of what you've done and what you're hoping to achieve, we're just guessing in the dark, unfortunately.

JulianDracos
  • I forget how I did it, but I managed to sort of get it to work. I ended up getting lines for the wall. When I zoomed in, I saw that it was a lot of walls with spaces between. I just deleted all of them until there was just one inner and outer wall.

However, when zoomed in, I saw the problem. It should really have one been 300 nodes, but the trace command made it over 3000. I think because GIMP is bitmap so it was going a lot of pixels. The result was very wavy lines.

What I was trying to do was make a gear shape. To do so, I need to make circles and then teeth. That is not something I could see easily doing in CC3. Since there were wavy lines using the Traced command, I gave up on that for the moment :( I do not think there is going to be an easy way for me to import the image and use the command without way too many nodes resulting in wavy lines and I don't want to click a couple thousand times to delete extra nodes.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Look at the CARY (Circular Array) command in the help file and see if that would be of use in creating your gear. The idea would be to make a gear tooth and the use CARY to replicate it around a circle.

The SIMPLIFY command might be useful in removing unnecessary nodes if you haven't tried it already.