Mappa Imperium

Hi Folks!

I stumbled upon this:

This guy came up with some tables and some rules for creating a fantasy world, that one can "play" together with friends. Presumably at the start of a new campaign to create a history of the world together so everyone is more involved with the world.

He intended it to be "played" at the table with pen and paper but of course no one stups us from using CC to draw the resulting maps (and he is using wonderdraft himself in the video)

Thought it would be of interest to you!

JimPLoopysueWyvernMedio

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2021

Sounds interesting, but cost would make/break it for me. oh, free.

edit: he does ask for a donation.

Do a web search, for Mappa Imperium and pause.

You will see several results, Inca, Russia, Greek, Aztec, Ottoman. I transliterated those as they aren't in English. So I made a guess.

• The link is in the description of his video, should have mentioned it, sorry

• Oh, i was looking to see what else was going on. To see if others were using it. I did click on the link you provided in the first post.

• edited August 2021

I'm not sure how popular it is right now, as it's just a few days old.

And to be clear: it is NOT a map drawing tool. It is meant to be a small mini game for people who are about to create a world to help build a history of said world. I think even if we don't need to build a world right now it's a fun way to get some inspiration for a new map we're about to draw.

It's set up in multiple stages. Each Player starts with an empty sheet of paper (or a section of a single sheet of paper). First everyone gets a few roles that determine what the player shall place in their respective area. The players can choose where exactly to put it and the guidelines are pretty vague. For example you roll for landmasses and you might get something along the lines of "one big island/continent and a small one". How they are shaped and where exactly they are is up to the player.

After a few steps when land features and some starting settlements are placed the players will be able to grow their start-kingdoms and during later steps they are allowed to place the features/settlements/etc on the other players sheets as well (when a WAR! was rolled up for example already existing settlement might get destroyed, or your kingdom could set up a colony on an other players sheet...)

Again: how you draw that exactly is all up to you/the players and it is meant to be done as a crude sketch on paper.

But, and that's why I posted it here: if anyone ever wanted to start a new map but lacks inspiration this game would be a nice way to get the outline/concept of a new world going.

JimPTheschabi
  • It's an interesting idea to turn it into a game, rather than simply being a mapping or world creation tool - as there are a number of those already freely available online, of course, aside from more that are paid-for products. Not that that would stop anyone from using such tools similarly in return as collaborative games, naturally!

Lillhans