Render Failure

Hey all,

Something strange. On my new map, trying to export it as rectangular jpeg as usual, the program simply shutsdown right after pass 4/24.

I've never had this happen before. I receive no error message, the program just shutsdown.

Help?

Cal

Comments

• Previous map, Beleriand, is rendering.

I added 1 sheet to the new map, TERRAIN colour2 that only has and edge fade on it. I'll remove and see if that helps.

• Hmmm.

I duplicated the 'Water' sheet, renamed it lava for lava lakes I was going to do. Once I removed that, I could render my map again.

*scratches head*

Cal

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It shouldn't really do that.

Part of the rendering process estimates the memory required, and refuses to render if that is too great.

Maybe yours is just on the very edge of that line?

Anyway. On to another thing.

How many passes? That's a huge number. How big is this map? If it's not some abnormally large size it might help if you increase the Maximum Pixels Per Pass from 4 million to 40 million. The command is EXPORTSETMPP. Enter 40 million and hit enter. See if that helps just a bit.

• Well, the map is larger 2500 by 2500 with the actual draw area like 1790 x 1790. And it 'crashed' right after 4/24 passes...just shut down. I will alter the exportsetmpp to 40 mil asap.

thanks

Cal

It might not cure the problem, but it's worth a try.

JimP
  • Hmmm,

I think mine was already set to that.

Then I don't really understand why its doing quite so many passes.

With that setting it normally only takes 1 pass to do a map that is 2500 x 2500, even with a very high AA.

Unless one of the others manages to solve the problem, I might think of asking for help from Tech Support.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

2500x2500 at maximum antialiasing (x4 in each direction) gives a 10000x10000 image that's being generated in the background. That's about 100M pixels. At 4M pixels per pass, that's about 25 passes. Decreasing your antialiasing and/or increasing the exportsetmpp should help a lot.

As far as to why it would suddenly shut down, it's possible that there was a disk write error of some sort during export (the system writes each pass out to a temporary image as it goes), running out of memory, or (most unlikely) you got unlucky and the file became just corrupted enough to cause a crash due to a tool generating too many polygon nodes. If you can reproduce the problem then it can probably get resolved. If it's one of those transient things it'll be much harder to diagnose.

LoopysueJimP