WIP: Mega-dungeon, Dorag Skel Level 1A

Hi Folks,

Quite awhile ago, well before I started using CC3+ for my maps, I had a play around with generating a random dungeon using the tables in the D&D5E Dungeon Masters Guide. This WIP is the result of tracing my original PS CS4 work. There's still quite a bit to finish. Not every room will be furnished but they will all be labelled and I'll finish placing the doors and other bits and pieces and mask the background. The map is 620'x 440'.

Loopysue[Deleted User]JimPWyvernCalibreTonnichiwaHighland_PiperRaikoOctorilla

Comments

• As you might tell from my frequent use of random options in my Community Atlas maps, I've been a long-time fan of such random design systems, for all they can need a bit of nudging sometimes to get things to work out OK. I've not used the 5E system as yet, though almost exactly 20 years ago (July-August 2001), I created a classic 12-level dungeon using the random system in the original (1979) AD&D DMs Guide, each level filling an A4 page of graph paper. All done by-hand then, however. I did make a start converting it to CC3 not long after I got the program, around 2014 or 2015, I think, but that was very slow going, as I hadn't the option then to scan the hand-drawn maps to trace in CC3.

Have to say that your map looks a lot more elegant and less cluttered than any of my old ones from that dungeon set, so the 5E system may be something I should experiment with in future, perhaps...

TonnichiwaJimPjmabbott
  • Very nice Dungeon layout. I too like the idea of random dungeons like that. I like the bitmap fills you decided to use for this as well. It makes the dungeon seem a little more permanent because its carved out of stone and then the walls filled with bricks. Dungeons I've drawn in the past always seemed to me to be a little less permanent because I always chose a dirt type background instead of stone. My thinking was that the dirt would have been easier for goblins and other gribblies to dig through. Anyway, well done!

jmabbott
  • Thanks for the comments @Wyvern @Tonnichiwa.

This is, in my mind, is the 'worked' area, subsequent areas, i.e. adjoining Level 1 maps and lower Level maps, will likely feature natural caverns as well as worked areas.

• I think I preferred the paler background stone than the black - a bit easier on the eye. If the repeating pattern is irritating (gets to me sometimes when mapping, and it can't be easily concealed), perhaps try blurring it a bit, if rescaling isn't helping?

• Interesting, I think the black looks better than the default grey fill. I'll try it with one of the grey stone fills (like those used for the dais in area A36) next time I'm working on it.

It's one thing to draw a series of rooms and corridors and call it a mega-dungeon, which is nice to look at (possibly) and quite another to make it useful by working out the various occupants and their motivations...which is the next step required to properly 'dress' it.

• When I first created this, on paper then in Ps CS4 B&W, I had the brilliant idea to create and sell on the DMs Guild, Dungeon Tiles based on the tables in the D&D 5E DMG. You can se the intial development over on the Cartographers Guild here.

Now obviously, there would need to be some modifications and limits set as the sheer number of possible combinations for passages and chambers is absolutely immense (88 just for the passages) and whilst I can be a bit pedantic at times, that's way too much even for me.

So I thought CC3+ is imminently suited for creating these and as I'm now on unpaid leave due to COVID lockdowns (I've applied for assistance from the Government) it's time to revisit...below are a couple of samples, I think I prefer the masked version, thoughts? There would be a higher resolution version with grid for print and the below for VTT...

TheschabiJimPLoopysueCalibre
  • On my maps, people on a d&d forum asked for both grid and no grid versions. So, I have a new sub-domain, where I am putting all of my old, CC2Pro, overland maps because they don't have grids. And fixing my errors as I go...

Some wanted hexagon grids, so I point them to my Tunnels and Trolls web site for that.

So, I think having both grid and no grid available is a good idea.

And Good Luck getting your assistance !

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think I also prefer the masked version, though I think the gap for the doors looks a little strange. Either that is a very very wide gap, or the wall supporting the doors are paper thin. I would make the walls as thick as they really are - drawing them as polygons if you don't like the way lines take up space inside the room.

• I like the black background, myself. I do wonder what is beyond the top and left side, tho :)

As for the grid, I use FGU and you can set the grid then remove it and the pointers will measure out distances. Players can simply drag one to find out all that if wanted.

Cal

• I think you might have missed the Cartographer's Guild hyperlink in your recent post?

Grid and no grid makes sense. The advantage of having the FCW file (as in the Community Atlas) is you can always turn it off, or amend it to something else, of course, but for a graphic image download, you need to try to be flexible in a different way!

I agree with Sue about the thin door-walls.

Not sure about the mask from just this small a sample though. You could turn off the wall shadows and add a simple glow effect to the walls (or floors - which wouldn't affect the exterior of the walls) instead, and not use the mask, perhaps.

Still don't like the black background on the larger map though 😁

• Thanks for the comments folks.

Re the link, I did put it in, obviously incorrectly! Tried to get too fancy, here it is: https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=38191

Re the wall thickness, that is the default 1ft thick wall. Interestingly, I created the room by doing the floor first then did the main room as a square, added the passage walls and sent them to the back. I then used the styles (DD3 SS2B) double door at 0.8 scale to cut the openings...the door is freaking huge in comparo to the walls, so I tend to agree thicker walls are a must. I might try the wall thickness at 1.875 and see how that looks. Why the odd size I hear you ask. It's for the benefit of those who like making 2.5D dungeon tiles, got to try and appeal to as wide an audience as possible...

• Fixed the walls, for some reason they were only 0.5ft rather than 1ft. Having a play around with the effects on the walls on the 1st one.

I've got the grid shown on these...

JimP
  • Here are 3 starting areas, #1, #2 and #8.

I think you can see the general plan...obviously the print version will be at higher resolutions. I'll probably leave the doors in for the print versions (subject to this project not contradicting the EULA of course) but I'm undecided for the VTT version; I'm thinking GMs might prefer to use tokens for the doors (that they'll need to provide) so they can be opened or closed...

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Are those spots meant to be there?

• Hi Sue, yes they are. I changed the fill style for the walls. It's meant to be a cobble, though it certainly doesn't look like it!

• Thanks for the updated link to the Guild.

Looking good, though I'm not sold on the "grey champagne" walls fill - it is a bit odd looking! 🍾

Don't know much about VTT usage, but I'd say options to have doors open or closed would be good, simply from a GM's perspective more generally.

The SA2 & 8 samples appear to have segments of walls that aren't blending into one another correctly - on different Sheets, perhaps?

• @Wyvern on SA1 the walls are individual paths. The other 2 have 1 path for the top entry and internal walls with the side and bottom ‘exits’ drawn separately and then sent behind. I did it it that way because I want to use the door symbols to cut the doorways. On a map where the scale is 1sq=5ft, I generally size the doors at 0.8 scale which, unless my math is terribly wrong, makes a single door about 3ft wide. I’m not sold on the solid grey or the ‘cobble’ fill for the walls either. Why it’s always good to test things out before investing a lot time on stuff and then having to change it.

• 11 days later
  • You could always print the doors separately to be laid on top like tokens

• That's the intention my friend. Though I'll not be offering any existing Profantasy or 3rd party symbols with the tiles, doing so would violate the EULAs. Instead, in the text with the modified generation tables I'll place links to the Vinytri collection & the Cartographers Guild Mapping Resources thread. Most GMs would likely already have a collection of such assets.

JimP