Problems with scale using texturize effect

I have been trying to use texturize effect to add a texture to one of my sheets. When I do it looks great in cc+ but as soon as I save the file as an image it seems to change the scale of the texture so that its super small. No matter what settings I use within the Texturize settings it always seem to do this. The change is visible on CC+ but does not seem to effect the exported PNG or JPEG images. Does anybody know what this is or what I am doing wrong.

Best Answer

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited July 2021 Accepted Answer

I want to say that texturize suffers from being a pixel-oriented process like the spatial matrix effect. As the export image size gets larger, the texturize image stays the same number of pixels across gets smaller.

If that's the behavior you're seeing, then there's not much that can be done. The effect would have to be rewritten to do the "n dot l" lighting calculation to a temp image and sample that temp image.

Edit: I'm getting old and my CRS is kicking in. Turns out that it's just a simple error in the code (one that you can't really fix from your end). As Barbara Millicent Roberts used to say "Math class is hard."

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to scale the texture in the effect according to your desired final output using a bit of trial and error.

Damon Hawkins

Answers

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited July 2021 Accepted Answer

I want to say that texturize suffers from being a pixel-oriented process like the spatial matrix effect. As the export image size gets larger, the texturize image stays the same number of pixels across gets smaller.

If that's the behavior you're seeing, then there's not much that can be done. The effect would have to be rewritten to do the "n dot l" lighting calculation to a temp image and sample that temp image.

Edit: I'm getting old and my CRS is kicking in. Turns out that it's just a simple error in the code (one that you can't really fix from your end). As Barbara Millicent Roberts used to say "Math class is hard."

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to scale the texture in the effect according to your desired final output using a bit of trial and error.

Damon Hawkins
  • Thank you, This explanation let me work around the problem.

• I clicked the wrong accepted answer and I can't see a way to undo it. jslayton's explanation helped me fix the issue.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think you can also click Joe's answer to have two accepted answers. I've seen other threads with several accepted answers.

But don't worry too much if you can't :)