Live Mapping: Historical Floorplans with Symbol Set 2

Hi Everyone! :)

In tomorrow's live mapping session Ralf will be creating a floorplan in the style used in the Cartographer's Annual 2007 "Gothic Cathedral" issue.

Come along and see how to use the style, and join in the chat.

Wyvern

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
  • amerigoVamerigoV Traveler

Whilst Ralf was scaling up his historical floorplan, I was looking to see if my historic church had their floorplan online. They did not. I went to Google Maps to see if I could get a rough estimate of dimensions since I know the inside layout pretty well.

In doing this, I stumbled upon an "outside of CC3+ but still a useful" tip for mapping IRL buildings (unless everyone knew this but me). While one can eyeball the size by the indicated scale on the screen, turns out there is a measuring tool. In Google Maps, turn on the Satellite View. Once you have the building on the screen, right click at the first point and their is an option Measure Distance. Click on the second point (so I could tell my church was 80' x 40'). I did this with my own house (of which I knew the main dimensions) and it was very accurate.

DaltonSpence
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

The measuring tool is very useful, but it isn't generally known about. For some reason Google don't bother advertising it.

• Maybe they don't want competing maps.  ;) I used to use this but I didn't for a while and forgot how. This post should be added to the resources post because it's so useful.
    JimP