Strange artifacts on walls stacked over 2 sheets

I have strange pock marks in the walls of my map, mostly on places where two multipoly-walls are stacked on top of each other (Sheets: LOWER WALL + WALL). It does not seem to be exclusively on these places. I see those on the rendered image and on the map in CC3+. I wonder how to get rid of them (see red circles in screenshot)

Best Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2021 Accepted Answer

This is unofficially known as Transparency Acne, and is an artefact caused by the rendering engine when it fails to recognise pixels in the upper sheet that happen to be exactly the same colour as the underlying pixels.

This causes little virtual holes (holes) in the upper sheet, and effects are applied around the edge of each of these holes. In this example the bevel is being applied, resulting in this pitted effect.

Add a new sheet just underneath the upper sheet and copy the the polygons from the upper sheet onto it, then hide everything except the new sheet and use the Change Properties tool to make the new polygons on the underlying sheet a solid fill and some colour that you can be fairly sure isn't included in the texture. Colour 227 is a good one.

Jens
  • JensJens Newcomer
    Accepted Answer

Thanks Sue, I did not know about the unofficial Acne. Now the walls are as smooth as a baby's butt ;)

Answers

edited July 2021 Accepted Answer

This is unofficially known as Transparency Acne, and is an artefact caused by the rendering engine when it fails to recognise pixels in the upper sheet that happen to be exactly the same colour as the underlying pixels.

This causes little virtual holes (holes) in the upper sheet, and effects are applied around the edge of each of these holes. In this example the bevel is being applied, resulting in this pitted effect.

Add a new sheet just underneath the upper sheet and copy the the polygons from the upper sheet onto it, then hide everything except the new sheet and use the Change Properties tool to make the new polygons on the underlying sheet a solid fill and some colour that you can be fairly sure isn't included in the texture. Colour 227 is a good one.

Jens
  • JensJens Newcomer
    Accepted Answer

Thanks Sue, I did not know about the unofficial Acne. Now the walls are as smooth as a baby's butt ;)