Error after fresh install - error saving to file Map.FCW

UKgnomeUKgnome Newcomer
edited May 2021 in Community Support

I am revisiting CC after a few years.

I downloaded the latest CC3+, installed on P: drive as Administrator and chose to allow All Users to run the program

Ran CC3+ as administrator and closed it down, no request to save a file.

Installed TUM, ran and closed

Installed Cartographer Season 1, ran and closed.

Logged out of Administrator and into my User account

CC3+ etc runs but when I close it I get an error window that says ~

I have done a search for MAP.FCW on the C: Drive and P: Drive and cannot find it, only Local Map.FCW and some that seem related to the TUM Or the Cartographer Install

I would prefer to run in a User Account, so where I have I messed up ?

thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Was this a result of you saying "yes" to the save changes prompt when exiting CC3+? If so, this could be just a issue of the default path not being writable for the non, admin user, and should resolve itself if you simply use save as to save the map in a different location.

• UKgnomeUKgnome Newcomer

That is probably the case, but where should the file be as I have searched all over for it ?

thanks

You're not supposed to have a map.fcw file, that is just the default file name for a new map when created from a pre-defined template. And since you get an error message when saving it (probably trying to save it somewhere windows won't let you), you won't have one.

Just save your files in a good location, I recommend making a folder for them inside your standard documents directory.

Ah, thanks.

Which leads to a question.

I log in as Admin to install the program but allow ALL USERS, then log in as a User - is the program still pointing towards the Admin Documents folder (that the User doesn't have permissions to see) ?

I have tried installing when logged in as User (putting in Admin password when requested) but that doesn't seem to quite work either.

Some default may not be appropriate when running it on a different user than the one who installed it, but CC3+ does remember the last directory used, so once you save your map in a proper location, CC3+ should remember that for the next time. I am guessing that it probably default to the installation directory, where a normal user won't have write access.

JimP

Choosing Save As on first start and saving to a NAS folder got rid of the problem

JimP