Install headache...

A while back I got a bundle deal for CC3+ through.. I don't remember. I downloaded all the bits, installed it, then, since I wasn't DMing at the time, forgot about it. Two days ago I tried to run it, and got a mess of errors telling me it couldn't find the settings files for CC2... Whoops! I since reinstalled the "main" CC3+, but a lot of stuff, while showing up "in" the program as available, still generate errors, telling me tools are not available, etc. So, which of these things should I be installing, and in what order, so this works right? I am going to assume that most things with a "3" after it will work with 3+, and not eat anything if I install them, so... And, if they can't be directly installed, is there some way to add the assets from them, without eating the main program?

CC3+ update

Battle Map and Floorplan Collection

Source Maps: Castles!

Source Maps: Temples, etc.

Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floorplans

Token Treasury - Monsters

Fairly sure 1-2 of these I skipped, since they popped up with a clear V2 when installing, but.. something in this list "ate" the configuration files for CC3+ and rendered everything installed broken. Got to say, its a bit.. troublesome when installers can do this to each other and maybe a version 4 would be better, in some future date, or including a method to use the main installer to "look for" other installers/assets, and extract/install them smartly, as an option, or maybe have a repository system, like some others, where the application can download and install "owned" assets, without using the installer method for every item (or both, for people offline)? Just a thought. ? It makes things so much easier.

At the moment.. just not having everything broken would be nice. lol

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It may be that downloading all the installers again so that they are absolutely as up to date as they can be, and installing them as the administrator in repair mode, then running the freshly downloaded most recent update again at the end of all that will fix things.

If that doesn't work show us a few screen shots of the error messages to see if the more technical people hereabouts can cure it.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Everything in the bundle is compatible. Just make sure that when downloading the installers from your profantasy registred user page that you grab the ones that are labeled as being for CC3+ if there are more than one to choose from.

Also, make sure to (re-)install the latest CC3+ update as the last thing you do, as that do some fixing up.

and got a mess of errors telling me it couldn't find the settings files for CC2...

These messages are due to a library file being accidentally copied by an installer into the installation directory. Please close down CC3+ and delete cc2per.dll from your installation directory (c:\program files(x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus)

still generate errors, telling me tools are not available, etc.

These are normal errors when you are using a style that doesn't have certain tools. Not all styles have all tools. This isn't normally an installation error. For example, dungeon styles doesn't have landmass tools. It can also happen if the style of your map has been changed, which can be changed from Drawing Properties

Loopysue
  • KagehikKagehik Newcomer

Ah.. OK. Good to know, if a bit confusing. I would have thought that the tools, when not available, would be greyed out, or just hidden, but.. been through that with some seriously costly software too (where it lets you pick options from a menu, then whines at you that, "You can't do that in this mode."

That said, something definitely had mangled things, because nothing at all worked when I was getting the CC2 errors. Nice to know that just nuking that one file would fix it. And, yeah, maybe some stuff was updated since then, but originally, when I downloaded, some of them didn't have a "compatible with CC3+" version.

Note: I do have a minor issue though. When I tried to log in with what my browser thinks was my correct info it didn't recognize either email or password. I tried my other email and it didn't work either, so I had to create a new account to post here. Needless to say, this kind of makes "redownloading" assets, or getting updates, problematic... Since it refused to recognize "either" email I actually use, I am guessing the account somehow went missing? How do I even fix that?

Ok. Never mind with that. Guess the forum is somehow separate from the main page, because the login worked "there". lol

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The forum account is separate from your ProFantasy account, so your credentials will probably work fine over at the registered user's page. If not, you'll have to contact ProFantasy support to fix that.

Note that of course, there is always a chance that your installation is messed up, but in 99% of cases, it is only a map issue (map set up to use wrong style, or style have been manually changed, or map style simply doesn't have those tools) rather than something being wrong with the CC3+ install.

but originally, when I downloaded, some of them didn't have a "compatible with CC3+" version.

Note that newer products won't neccessarily say this at all, because they are ONLY compatible with CC3+, and nothing else. Every ProFantasy product have been compatible with CC3+ for several years now. However, if you own some very old products from the CC2-era, some of them require a paid upgrade to the new version, but since you said you got the CC3+ bundle deal, everything in that bundle would have been compatible from day 1.

Loopysue
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited May 2021

If you are having trouble with this forum that may be because the forum has been extensively updated quite recently. It might look very similar to the way it used to look, but it's actually quite different. I think Remy Monsen should be able to help you with any log in issues or duplicated accounts.

Thanks for all the help. Other than my thumb drives, which I was trying to use to move things from my main system to the one I use for RP gaming apparently being crap, things look good now, I think. Back when I got the bundle I think there where more than a few installers which "didn't have a CC3" version yet, so I never download the updates for them. Should be able to fix it all now that everything is the correct file versions. lol