Live Mapping: Sara Wroot Overland

Hi Everyone :)

In tomorrow's live mapping session Ralf will be returning to the first year of the Cartographer's Annual with an overland style by Sarah Wroot.

Come along and join in the fun! :)

Comments

• I'll be out camping, with very spotty internet. So no go for me.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Ok Jim. No worries.

There will be a recording as usual if you are interested in catching up when you get back.

Have a lovely time! :)

• I hope so to... chances for rain through Saturday. I have a big tarp to go over my tent, so I am not too worried.

So, I'll be back at home on Sunday evening, but likely too tired to log in until Monday or Tuesday.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
  • In all honesty, this style of mapping is one of my least favorite. That's speaking as a cartographer. Speaking as an artist (and I have nearly all the Dying Earth books with SW's maps), the lady is an awesome artist.

Just not as much on cartography.

Her inking skills are clearly superior, as well as composition and overall layout and design.

Anyway, I do appreciate Ralf's efforts. I always learn something new from his and Remy's videos.

thanks

Cal

Loopysue
  • 27 days later
  • Well, I'm not getting any quicker at watching or commenting on these videos after the fact...

Never had the chance to try the Sarah Wroot style yet, but I hadn't forgotten it at least! Good to see it in action, certainly, and personally it was interesting to see the navigation lines trick for real, and to see the editing of the map's scalebar. I'd not appreciated it was possible to make so many adjustments to the bar and its labels till now, and it's always fun to see how "trim to entity" will expand lines to meet an entity if they don't already do so. As I hadn't used navigation lines before, I didn't realise that was how they operated, though in retrospect, had I thought about it more (or maybe paid attention to the mapping guides where they're used), it might have been obvious they'd need to ☺️

• Most scale bars are editable. But some you can only change the numbers, unless you explode them.

• Forgot to say earlier too that I checked around online, and it looks as if Sarah Wroot now concentrates primarily on textile design, rather than map making. Good for her of course, and textile fans, but not so good for us map-makers!