Contour Coloring Question

When converting SRTM contour data to a CC3 file in FT3 I have used the contour color options, however I see no contour colors when I open the contour file in CC3. What am I doing wrong here? ?

Best Answer

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

SRTM data only has altitude values, not color values. The FT3 altitude coloring scheme (Map>>Lighting and Color, Altitude page) is used to generate colors from the altitudes with minimum and maximum altitudes specified via Map>>World Settings, Primary page (Highest Peak and Lowest Depth).

choppinlt

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2021

If you set up your own export options to do this, it is probably those not being saved (and thus not being used). If FT3 is installed in the default location, it fails saving the export options unless it is run as administrator by right-clicking the icon and select run as administrator.

• choppinltchoppinlt Traveler

Ahh yes thank you, I forgot about that...well that was part of the issue. All contours are just 1 color though...it is all a solid green. I was under the impression that each contour would it's own color, perhaps on a graduated color scale. Is there a way to make that happen?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The contours follow the coloration of your FT3 world. If your contours are all in a close range, they may indeed all come out the same color since the FT3 coloring is "world scale" not "local scale".

If you set up advanced contours in the export settings, you can go in and manually assign a color to each contour level overriding the default height matching

choppinlt

Ft3 should be able to generate contours colored according to the color of the altitude of the contour. If your altitude map view is all green in your area of export, all of the exported contours will be green as well.

choppinltLoopysue

Great thank you both! My FT3 was imported SRTM data....my understanding was there were colors in the SRTM files, or am I incorrect on this? I'm trying to avoid manually altering every single color on each contour....but I understand if there is no choice.

Accepted Answer

SRTM data only has altitude values, not color values. The FT3 altitude coloring scheme (Map>>Lighting and Color, Altitude page) is used to generate colors from the altitudes with minimum and maximum altitudes specified via Map>>World Settings, Primary page (Highest Peak and Lowest Depth).

choppinlt

Awesome, thank you @jslayton , that is exactly what I was looking for!