Marine Dungeon - a Cartographer's Annual development thread

124»

Comments

• Well, this is what happens when you try using FB...

Somewhat puzzled by the reactions you mentioned, given that this is to help map fantasy environments, so "psychedelic horror" might be very useful to have sometimes, depending on the game system ?

However, if the system employed gives the option to explore a lesser-used CC3+ facility via the Annual issue's mapping guide ("Attach to drawing"), that's probably no bad thing.

The "distort" option looks brilliant! I can see the body in the swimming pool already...

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Oh those were my words to sum things up a bit. I'm quite sure that no one ever said it so bluntly, but that was the essence of the feeling I detected. And to a degree I agree with them. Some of the colour versions I have tried in an attempt to please others who prefer their water electric aqua really were psychedelic horror schemes!

That is why I will produce a range of colour palettes. hopefully, this will lead to people not only learning about Attach to Drawing, but that palettes may be manipulated, changed, saved and recalled.

LOL! Funny you should say that about bodies. I did a very crude mermaid yesterday in response to a cheeky comment, again on FB. It's not ready to show just yet.

• @Loopysue that distort effect is something that I've always wanted to be possible in Dungeon Designer. Cisticola (I think) did a flooded dungeon map years ago in PS or GIMP, posted on the Dundjinni forums that distorted the floor tiles of the flooded section and I've always wished that it was possible with the CC3/DD3 sheet effects.

I really love these examples so far. :)
    edited May 2021

Distort has been possible for at least 5 years. All I did was work out how to affect the whole map by adding the effect to just the one sheet, called OPTIONAL DISTORT. The distort is optional because it doesn't make reading the map all that easy. It's more of an artistic effect.

A rectangle of transparent white that covers the map on the OPTIONAL DISTORT sheet is multiplied (Blend mode sheet effect) to the result of the render so far. The Distort effect is then applied. The white of the rectangle itself is no longer visible thanks to the multiply effect (which removes all the white on it's own sheet) but those other colours it has been blended to are treated as part of the white rectangle and distorted by the following Distort effect.

Blend and Distort. Just two effects in that order.

The only thing you need to be careful about is making sure that all your backgrounds and anything that vanishes off the edge of the map extend as far beyond the edge of the map as the distort is set to act, or you get the edges of things pulled back into the map by the distort.

JimPDoubleDoubleWyvernpkfryeRaikoCalibreIndara1920
  • 1 month later

I think this is probably done now :)

[Deleted User]MonsenpkfryeWeathermanSwedenGeorgeDaishoChikaraCalibre
  • This is marvellous - the sea plants and fish swarms. Can't wait for the annual - I already have the site mapped out.

Thank you very much, Quenten! :)

I hope it has everything you need.

• 10 days later

This issue of the 2021 Cartographer's Annual has just been published, so here is the full development example map to round off the end of this thread.

TheschabiMonsenMapjunkie[Deleted User]WeathermanSwedenJimPCalibreWyvernDoubleDoubleMedio
  • I'm downloading it today.

Loopysue
  • I just downloaded it. Sue that is absolutely wonderful artwork.

Thank you very much :)