Most of my sheets won't show effects

So, working on a new version of a map, and this morning I load things, and it appears that I cannot activate effects on the vast majority of my layers. The two that work are new layers I created. But for the rest... nothing.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Things I have done:

I can get effects working on new maps

I have confirmed that items are in the sheets I think they have

I have turned off all effects, and turned them back on.

I have hid all but 1 sheet, but I can still not get effects to work on it.

I have restarted my computer

• Huh. I can create a new sheet, with new effects, and THOSE work.

This is weird

• Do you still have the MERGE Layer (not Sheet) in your map, not hidden or frozen? Effects won't work without it being on and active, as far as I recall.

Otherwise, hopefully someone more technically savvy will charge to your rescue!

Loopysue
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2021

I have found that sometimes I need to change the range and strength of the effects on individual sheets depending on the size of the map.

• Jim makes an excellent point; adjusting the strength or range of the Effects - and trying just one at a time sometimes - should show if they're working. Just keep increasing them till you see something, and then work out how to best scale that back to what you need. Effects work always needs a degree or trial and error. That's why there's an "Apply" button, so you can see what's going to happen before you click "OK" and have to go through the whole process again!

• I fully appreciate Jim's comment, but I'm not sure it applies.

CC3+ is refusing to run effects on all but 2 sheets on a map I was working on last night, and that the effects were working on.

• edited April 2021

I have sometimes encountered problems with overlapping many different effects, especially if there are different effects that include opacity layering on top of each other. It can be difficult to figure out where the problem effect is unless you hide as many layers as possible - start with only the object and the effect not being seen.

Keep in mind you need both the effects activated on the map and the effect active on the layer.

Also, the order of effects on a single layer can affect how they interact.

• Hmm. I'm not being clear. ok, here is a map I just exported 5 minutes ago, with all sheets and layers visible:

When I loaded this map up yesterday, most sheets under the exact same conditions had effects that are no longer visible. The main Land sheet had a very light blue glow in the ocean, there was a white glow around the compass, the forests and marshes had blurred edges, and so on. Here is a version from early yesterday:

You can see the glows, blurred edges, etc. They are gone now. When I click on the sheets, they claim that the effects are still there, but I cannot get them to be visible under any condition:

All sheets & layers are visible (including Merge). I have confirmed that the things that should be in various sheets & layers are in fact there. Effects that were visible yesterday are no longer, even when I activate them. I have pressed the apply button.

I confess to being somewhat frustrated.

• I'm happy to post more screenshots, or other info. It's very frustrating, because it really feels like CC3+ just simply STOPPED doing effects arbitrarily. I really hope that's not true, and I want to figure out how to solve this.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

As Wyvern asked above, be certain that you don't have any hidden layers. Layers, not sheets. The MERGE layer is probably the most important one of those.

If nothing seems to work I recommend asking for help from Tech Support through your Account page.

• I forgot about the support page, stupidly.

But yes, all sheets and all layers have been visible.

• Welcome to the I am not sure if it is a bug of if I did something wrong club :(

Nevermet
  • Part of the problem, Nevermet, is that without the FCW, no one can really tell what's going on with your program. I've had similar problems where I can't get effects to work, or I put something on the map and it disappears, all kinds of things. And a lot of times it's something that's easy to fix, and an easy explanation, once someone that has more experience with the program takes a look at it.

If you can post your FCW, we can take a look at it in our program, and determine whether there is some kind of bug, or it's just a matter of something being in the wrong place for an effect to work.

Oh, and here's a thought, I had a similar problem, once. I was trying to do an inner edge fade to some land contours I had set down. But I was overlapping the contours, and they were all on the same sheet. I learned that the effects clash with each other in that circumstance, because the program is getting interfering commands, or something like that... Remy could explain it better than I can. But the way to fix it, is to put all of the land contours on their own sheets.

Nevermet
  • I'm sorry for being a bit more temperamental yesterday than I should have been.

Anyhow, I contacted tech support, and they got back to me in under 24 hrs, which I appreciate.

• More importantly, have you managed to resolve the issue?

JimP
  • Not yet?

As I'm still learning how all this works, I'm re-doing the map as practice, and tonight I'll re-read the Manual section on effects. Maybe the Tome too. I'm sure I don't fully understand how this works.

• Probably a long shot, but have you tried loading a new or different mapfile and then re-loading the afflicted mapfile? Maybe even try Save As... with the different mapfile, closing CC3+, re-launching and then reloading the afflicted?

• I received a reply from Tech support

Apparently, there was an issue with the template layer, and it has been fully corrected.

...I really need to read more

JimP
  • Was the issue a bug that came with the program? A bug that was caused by the use of the program? Or just that something got set wrong on your end causing the issue?

• I honestly do not know, and it does not appear Ralf from tech support knows either at this point.

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Indeed, I mainly just tinkered with the file and removed the points entities on the Template layer. Then it just started working again.

LoopysueNevermet
  • And to say it again: I am grateful for the help.

Loopysue