Idea : Patron install

I have an idea. Not sure how many people have a Patron license and whether the investment in time would be worth it but, my idea is to have a one file install (installs everything). If anyone is like me: you tend to re-install occasionally and re-installing every add-on indvidually is tedious and a long process. Just an idea.

Let that percolate... Let it marinate.....let it germinate.......all the ates...

?

[Deleted User]

Comments

• The problem I see is the size of the download file. No idea myself, but multiple gigabytes. And some folks are on metered service.

Loopysue
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Jim is right about the size.

Time spent modifying the installer would be quite an issue as well, with monthly publications, regular updates and bug fixes.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

If an installer could be rigged to just pull new content, then that might suffice. However, I don't know the capabilities of the installer product in use and it would require some backend work as well, I suspect.

I would rather have limited manpower go to new content rather than a convenience for my use every year or two.

Loopysue
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    PowerShell.. Uh ... ate?

It's a pretty safe bet if you're patient enough to learn CC, then you can learn PowerShell enough to do it.
  • mrgrimmmrgrimm Newcomer

As for the arguments to my suggestion about the size of the download. I agree that the size of the file would be large but, not anywhere close to any AAA game released in the last 3 years. Microsoft Flight Simulator starts at 160GB and can go up to 320 GB. I checked my CC3+ folder and it was just shy of 40GB and since I didn't want to put forth much effort since it was just a suggestion.. that folder included previous versions so....

I truly understand the size issue. I did not think about that when suggesting it. Sorry my bad. It was just a suggestion.

• Not a problem @mrgrimm

And Windows Installer programs aren't part of Power Shell that I know of.

• thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    It's a really good idea, it may just need some tweaks in its execution. Maybe instead of the ProFantasy Team refactoring the installers, a Concerned Citizen scripts something that uses the existing installers. PowerShell is just an example, as that's the one I am most familiar (ish) with these days, but there are others.

If you got really fancy, you could hardcode what has to happen first and last, then put do a get-childitem and pipe it to a for..each to finish it. Or divide things up by directories and get-childitem -> for..each to order by groups. Again, just examples. I haven't poked around to see if they get along with the standard /s switch, if they will take parameters (answer file or in the command line itself either one), do you have to run the console as 'Administrator' or any of that. Just now running it on the latest annual issue, I can see 'things happening' (via watching processes) and eventually the PDF mapping guide comes up.

For me, the really high PIA factor comes from downloading all the files again. Under normal websites I know you can even tell it to go get a resource, but I'm not sure how you would do that with the way these files are 'locked' behind the register page. I've poked around a very little bit at the URL it gives the browser to download the resource, but it looks like it expires after a period of time?