Invalid Drive error when using network drive for CC3Plus data directory

CalanCalan Newcomer
edited March 2021 in Community Support

Hi there,

I use macOS on my home computer. I initially tried wine for CC3+, but unsurprisingly fonts were too inconsistent, so I decided to fire up VMWare Fusion and use that instead. I went with installing Windows 7 Home Basic for a small footprint and took a snapshot of the VM after I had Windows fully installed.

I initially installed CC3+ with the data directory in the default location (c:\programdata\...) along with CD3 and DD3 and was having a good play following some tutorials. Once I started editing some of templates etc I thought it'd be better for me to have the data directory outside the vm (VMWare lets you share a folder from the host so it appears as a mounted drive on Z:) so it could be picked up with my backup runs without having to backup the entire VM (that's excluded from my backups and I'll back that up manually now and again).

I initially tried uninstalling and reinstalling CC3+, pointing data to Z:\cc3plus. Install of the base CC3+ went fine, but as soon as I tried CD3, I got an error that CC3+ was too old a version. Strange, as the installer is 3.94. Anyway, I tried running the update 25 patch, and that ran with some errors, though said it 'succeeded'. Still CD3 said CC3+ was too old a version. I tried uninstalling CC3+ again, but it threw the error 'invalid drive: z:\'. After a bit of Googling, I read there could be problems with moving the data location after a reinstall, so I rolled back the VM to the snapshot I had taken before installing CC3+ in the first place.

But even after a clean install of CC3+ using Z:\CC3Plus for data, I'm getting the same issues. CC3+ installs fine with data going to z:\cc3plus and it runs perfectly, but when I try to install CD3, I get the error that CC3+ is too old a version and if I try to uninstall CC3+ I get the 'invalid drive: z:\' error.

So it feels like the issue isn't that I moved the data location, but that it's not liking data being on a network share mapped to a drive letter.

Before logging a support ticket, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has used a network share mapped to a drive letter for CC3+ data or has any advice on this issue?

Cheers!

Comments