Increase detail level on sections of FT3 map

Is it possible to export a heightmap of a section of an FT3 map, say an island, then import it back into FT3 and increase the detail level of the heightmap? For example, create a world with a custom editing size of 8190 (6.3mi per pixel), then focus in on that island and export the heightmap. Import the heightmap of the island, let's say it is 500mi x 250 mi, set it's editing size to 8190, so that it is ~700ft per pixel.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Sadly, you can't reverse the import directly. When you export a map to CC3 you lose all the 2.5D height information, so the best you can do is use the outline as a pattern overlay to re-sculpt your island a little larger than it was before

Alternatively, you can zoom in to the island and export that alone as a CC3 map. FT3 will export whatever is visible in it's window at the time of export and nothing more. It should give you a much higher resolution CC3 map of the island.

jbclaypool
  • I found it easier, I likely lack practice, to just import the exported fcw, or png, file into CC3Plus and add things there.

jbclaypool
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Save the heightmap of your area of interest as something like a binary file (I will try to get you info on a preferred type when I get back to my machine later). Then create a new binary world based on that export that has the export spanning pole to pole. Set your editing resolution high and burn in to surface.

jbclaypool
  • jbclaypooljbclaypool Newcomer
    edited March 2021

Thanks all,

Ok Joe, that's more or less what I was thinking about. I assume the world circumference should be equal to the width of the heightmap? Will that distort the shape at the north and south?

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

When outputting a smaller map for "detail enhancement", I would recommend using a projection that hits the balance of features that you're looking for in the detail map. The measuring tools in ft won't be very useful for the detail map because they assume either a spherical or a planar world.