Problem Installing Annual 171 Erdan World

I cannot get the latest annual to install. It just runs for hours and doesn't install the software. I deleted and re-downloaded the annual and it does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2021

No, it worked fine for me on both the computers I tried on.

Common things to try would be

1. Reboot your computer, this removes file locks which might prevent the installer from proceeding.
    2. Check that the digital signature on the installer is valid. You find this by right clicking the file, select properties, and in the properties dialog find the digital signatures tab. Select the signature, and click Details. As long as ProFantasy Software Ltd is listed as a signer here with no error message, everything is fine, and the file is not corrupt. If there is an error message (like "this digital signature is not valid") or the tab is missing completely, the downloaded file is NOT fine. (Try redownloading with another browser, or on another conenction)
    3. Disable antivirus/malware scanner/firewall and other security programs. While they protect you, they are also common reasons for why honest programs fail. (Don't forget to re-activate them after installing)
    4. Make sure the program is really running as administrator by right clicking the executable and select run as administrator
  • edited March 2021

There are other issues with this annual.

Many of the fills have the dreaded red X. I have everything installed to default locations.

It's not just one fill, but about a dozen of them, and it only seems to be happening with the Erdan World style.

The new style is looking for some fills in the Worlds of Wonder (CA146) folder that actually came from the Worlds of Wonder 2 (CA156) so if you have a default installation the fills aren't in the place CC3 is looking for them. It is also pointing at what seem to be non-existent copies of the folders with spanish(?) names (ex. there is a fill in the new style called Desiertas that is pointing at a folder called Texturas).

I don't mean to hijack the original thread but wasn't sure what the usual protocol was, so since there was already a thread about this annual I thought I'd just add to it rather than create a new one. I apologize if that is not the correct way to do it.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

@Ralf will have to confirm this, but I suspect the missing fills are just due to poor cleaning of the template. None of those missing fills appears in any of the drawing tools for the style. That list is full of things that don't belong there.

MarkOlsenLoopysue
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited March 2021

Worked fine here on my install, it´s all i can say. And yeah, spanish folders was my original ones, maybe one could get skipt. Sorry guys, i must get used to do everything in English, that was done when i didn´t know yet that it was going to fire off.

MarkOlsen
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I have lots of apparently missing textures myself, but I suspect that since those are mostly in Spanish, and they seem to have perfectly fine English-named equivalents, those were just left on the list by mistake.

• ScottAScottA Surveyor

No... still no luck. Still not installing for me.

• Scott, it sounds like you have inadvertently downloaded the COVID-v5 virus. Try dowsing your computer in bleach.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

@ScottA I'm probably asking an obvious question, but have you tried downloading a fresh copy?

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

I indeed forgot to clean out the old bitmap fills from the template. Sorry for that! Attached a templates with only the correct fills, and I'll also be updating the setup for the Annual in a moment.

As for the setup not working, it might be best to send in a tech support request so I can help sort that out in direct communication.

LoopysueMarkOlsenMedioWyvernScottA
  • Just did a fresh download and install, and there still seem to be a number of bitmap fills giving red Xs on the FS listing. Doesn't seem to be affecting the sample map, nor is it a problem for the drawing tools with the style.

• 28 days later
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor

Okay, an update, finally. I waited for this month's annual and it installed just fine, so I tried the Erdan Worlds annual again, and this time it installed instantly with no problems. Eh, computers..!

WyvernLoopysueMedio