RAM Role in CC3+

I've seen several discussions on hardware, most center on GPU vs CPU. I may be using the terminology wrong, but my current understanding is that the program uses a single core on the CPU. My question is: What roll does RAM play in CC3+?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think it can only use 4GB RAM at most. But don't worry - it doesn't take anywhere near as much as a bitmap app to run.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

To elaborate a bit on Sue's answer. RAM is used for bitmap caching in the program, and is also important in determining the maximum export size of the map since that requires space in RAM for the work.

As Sue points out, it uses 4GB at maximum, but it is always a good idea to have that 4GB available to the program, which means that if your computer only have 8GB's of RAM you might need to be careful about what you run at the same time, while if you have 16 or more, it is generally not an issue. The ram allocation needs to be contiguous, so for a lower memory machine, it may need to be rebooted more often as well, especially if you find that CC3+ complains it doesn't have enough memory to complete an export.

Loopysue
  • I'm assuming the 4GB max is due to CC3 being 32-bit. If a 64 bit was released, then I assume it will be able to use more than 4 GB.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Yes, the 4GB limit is due to 32-bit limitations.