Is outer glow the best way to darken symbols?

I am using the Mike Shelly Inks. I noticed that some of the symbols are a bit gray. Turns out that at least when it comes to the mountains, that is becauase it had a gray outer glow. However, I want to sharpen the symbols (mountains, trees, etc) by making a stronger contrast with the white. Is the outer glow from sheets the best option, or is there something else I could try to give the map a strong black ink look on a white page?

Best Answer

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

Hi Julian :)

It might be that you are seeing the mountains at a slightly lower resolution, which will slightly blur the sharp lines into the white area around them. Try opening the Display Speed dialog and picking Fixed Bitmap Quality to set it to Very High, and then Apply the change. This should give you sharper and hopefully blacker mountains.

I hope you don't mind, but I have demonstrated this here using a view from the FCW file you uploaded on your other thread, as I didn't have an example of my own in that style to hand.

JulianDracos

Answers

Accepted Answer

Hi Julian :)

It might be that you are seeing the mountains at a slightly lower resolution, which will slightly blur the sharp lines into the white area around them. Try opening the Display Speed dialog and picking Fixed Bitmap Quality to set it to Very High, and then Apply the change. This should give you sharper and hopefully blacker mountains.

I hope you don't mind, but I have demonstrated this here using a view from the FCW file you uploaded on your other thread, as I didn't have an example of my own in that style to hand.

JulianDracos
  • I am not sure if this helps the contrast issue or not, but I had no idea the symbols had such details. Changing it to very high dramatically changed quality of the appearance of the symbols. Now to try this out on other maps to see what new things I can see now.

LoopysueMedio

Mike Schley loves his details - and so do we :)