Shadows! How do they work?

Howdy.

So. Shadows. They're cool. However, I'm trying to get my map to not display them from the inside of a house that's supposed to have a roof. Any tips on how to mark certain walls as "inside" to keep them from catching the sun and making a shadow? I think a separate layer might work, but that would require me to redraw a lot of my map, so I'm hoping for an easier solution.

Comments

• Adding this as both an example of the problem and because I'm reasonably proud of this house, now that I've learned a few things.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Shadows are applied to all entities on the sheet with the effect. If you need some walls to not cast shadows, you need to place them on other sheets.

Note of course that you can have all your walls on a non-shadow sheet, and then just double up with a new set of walls on the shadow sheet so you don't have to break apart the rooms. The "walls" casting shadows could actually just be thing black lines on a dedicated sheet.

Driechel
  • So rather than undo the walls that I've drawn, redraw the walls I want to have shadows and put them on a layer specifically to catch some rays as it were? I like that idea. Thanks a ton.

• Is there a way to keep a shadow from penetrating a wall? Say I want to have a shadow stop when it encounters a wall rather than draw over it into the next room.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited January 2021

One way to avoid seeing shadows inside of a building is to make a sheet that contains only the outer walls along with the wall shadow effect and put that sheet above the ground sheet outside, but below the floor sheet inside. The floor sheet will then mask the undesired shadows inside. If you want to see the wall tops, put those on the topmost sheet with no wall shadow effect at all.

Driechel
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Another way is to deactivate the shadow effect on the WALLS sheet (sheet, not layer), and copy and paste it onto the FLOORS sheet. That way the shadows are cast by the floor as if they are being cast by the building.

Having removed the shadows from the walls, though, you will probably want to add a dark Glow effect to the WALLS sheet to lift them from the floors.