Are there tools to aid with centering?

In graphic and layout programs, you can add guides. So I can set a guide at a certain point enabling me to know that something is centered in the map (or wherever I want it to be.) I cannot find any options for that. So far, I have used grids, but counting is time consuming and not as accurate due to human error.

So are there any guide lines I can add or something else so I can divide things up?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2021

There are no exact features like that, your options are basically

• The Snap grid. Set a rather large spacing, then counting won't be so much an issue. You'll probably want to make sure you have selected a dot type that is a bit large to notice them though. You can set the number of divisions high if you need snapping outside the visible grid. The snap grid is basically the guide feature in CC3+. Remember you can show the grid dots without having snap on.
    • Set up a separate square grid in your map. Again, use large grid cells, and add the grid to a separate sheet and layer. You can then freeze the layer to make sure you don't manipulate the grid accidentally, and you can easily toggle it off/on or add a transparency effect to the sheet.
    • Use the modifiers. The modifiers such as midpoint, endpoint and center helps you place things precisely.
    Lillhans
  • thehawkthehawk Surveyor
    edited January 2021
    There's also an internal grid, and you can put the origin (0,0) where ever you want to. Then when placing things (I don't know if for all, but symbols, lines, squares, and circles it does) you can tell it what x,y you want it at by typing numbers instead of clicking. The upper left status (at least in my window it is, and I don't think I know enough to have changed it) can show you where your cursor is absolutely or relatively. Doing the math is sometimes easier than figuring out right where to click.
    JulianDracos
  • I haven't used it in a long time, but some of my maps, the origin point is messed up. Very much off.

It was mentioned several years ago we can type origin and select the lower left corner in the fcw file. That is now the origin.

I have wondered what would happen if I wanted the center of the map to be the origin ?

JulianDracos
  • edited January 2021

I prefer the map center to be the 0,0 coordinate on some maps - primarily my whole world maps. I unhide and unfreeze all sheets and layers except the "Template" layer, then do a n0n-visual move. I select everything, set the center of the map as the origin of the move (I usually have to do this visually using the snap grid), then type 0,0 as the destination, hit "Do It," and Bob's Your Uncle.

So far it hasn't seemed to present any difficulties or errors down the line, and this makes the 0,0 coordinate the map center so it seems like it would work for JulianDraco's needs as well.

JulianDracos
  • As far as I can tell, you can put it where-ever in the heck you want to.

If you put it in the middle, then that's probably going to be in the center. If you put it in one corner or another, then just knowing the map's width and height and some math will get you in the right place for some center.
    JulianDracos
  • Thanks for the advice. I will need to look up how to set the cooridinates because I think that will be the most helpful if I want precision and creating parallels.

For now, I used Monsen's suggestions. I ended up doing a couple of things. The first was to put in the grid, and I then used the midpoint selection on the grid. That allowed me to place it on the center. Other things I did was draw in something straight to use as my own guide lines. Then I would just delete them later. You can just say create a new sheet for it, use the grid, and then mark various points. Not ideal, but it worked well enough for now.