Distortion of Color Image Overlay

I have created a map, on paper, and I'd like to use it as an image overlay. I have imported it into FT3, and it is being distorted by my map projection (Miller cylindrical). I drew the paper map with this projection already in mind, so what I am getting, as an overlay, is doubly distorted. Does anyone know what I can do to override the automatic distortion FT3 is doing to my image overlay?

Thank you.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

The only solution is to crop the map to the proportions of the Miller Projection before you import it.

TTCostaDC
  • TTCostaDCTTCostaDC Newcomer
    edited January 2021

It seems to help when I choose "Define in Screen Coordinates". My .png is a ratio of 0.73:1 (height:width), which I think is correct for Miller Cylindrical. But then the image slips all over the place, especially when zooming, which I guess I should expect since it relates 1:1 to screen pixels? I couldn't find any documentation for this option button.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

FT3 only supports equirectangular projection for import. An external tool is required to perform this projection.

Some years back I wrote http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage.zip as a way to work around this limitation.

Loopysue