Save to Google Drive?

Hello,

Noob question here - Are there any issues with saving maps to and working from Google Drive? Some of the online gaming tools have issue with this, so I thought I'd better check before getting to work...

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

In theory, it shouldn't be a problem, because the when you save it to google drive you are really just saving it to a normal folder on your computer, and then the google drive sync client synchronizes that folder with the cloud. This is the same for other services like OneDrive and Dropbox too.

Now, the issue you can run into here is that google drive will lock the file while it is in the process of syncing it. So google drive may actually prevent CC3+ from doing a file write if it is requested at the same time as drive syncs. Usually, this should be a minor problem, as CC3+ don't write to the file except whenever you actually tries to save. You should also be able to write to the file again immediately after drive is done syncing.

Terenn
  • What Monsen said, except that, in my experience (and I do this a lot, with CC3, MapTool and CorelDraw), when Drive is finished syncing, you may or may not be able to save the file from the program you're using without having to quite Drive (or whatever they call it now, Backup and Sync?) entirely. If I had a better memory for it, I'd put Drive on Pause before I start, but even when I remember that, I never remember to unpause it when I'm done.

The bright note is that CC3+ files are generally pretty small, so they sync very, very quickly. That means the odds are saving at the same time are low. (Some of the CorelDraw files I've worked with are well over 100 meg, and take a *long* time to sync.)

So my tip is, if you get an error about not being able to save, quite Drive, do the save, then restart it. Other than that, no problems at all.