After Print - Zoom to extents shows blank white screen.

After hours of work, I'm stuck on a file that won't zoom correctly. I just see a blank white screen.

Steps:

1) I had the map zoomed into one area.

2) I "saved as..." and chose jpeg - rectangle area.

3) I selected most of the visible screen and saved. It saved the jpeg.

4) After returning to the program, I selected the "zoom to extents" button, and it goes all white. I tried zooming in, out, nothing. The "last view" works once to the zoomed in area I had when the file was saved.

Neither the autosaved file (named _recover) or the original save I did will zoom to extents.

If someone can help me recover the file I would be grateful. Also, why does this happen? Is there some way I can prevent it?

Attached are the affected files.

I have the latest .25 patch.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

This is the first file of the two the instant I opened it:

and this is the second one:

I do get the white expanse when I zoom to extents, but I used select as if to erase everything in that full extent window and discovered nearly 1700 objects on just the BACKGROUND sheet alone.

Unfortunately I do not have the technical skill to separate things you actually want there from things you don't.

Try contacting Technical Support through your account page.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

There are three entities in your map that is causing problems. Not sure how they occurred, but if you erase them, the zooming problem should go away.

These are entity numbers 114189, 114190, 115004

To erase an entity by it,s number, click Erase then right click inside the drawing area and from the selection pop-up, select more -> Entity Tag #. The command prompt should then show a Tag #: prompt. Type in one of the entity numbers from my list above and hit enter. If you did this correctly, the command prompt should show that you have one entity selected. Now, right click again and select Do It. Repeat for the remaining two entity numbers.

LoopysueMaidhc O Casaintrechriron
  • I have done this to myself. There are entities, Monsen gave you the numbers for them, that are well outside the map border. When you Zoom Extents, those outside entities are included in the map view.

• trechrirontrechriron Newcomer
    edited December 2020

Monsen - Thank you for your help. You are a scholar and a gentleperson.

So. Among the other frustrating elements of CC3+, I have to now fix this issue whenever it just "occurs". How does it happen? Monsen - how did you locate those rogue entities?

I sincerely wish all the crashing, corrupting, and related bugs were fixed. For all the money I've spent on this - the stress of actually using the tool is deplorable.

There's no direct way to find them, I do it by a bit of structured trial and error. I start by figuring out which sheet contains the problematic entities by hiding half of them, figuring out if the problem still persist, if not, it is on one of the hidden sheets, if it continues, it is on the still visible ones. Continuing that way until I am down to one sheet (Takes more effort to write that explanation than actual do it in practice)

Since there where quite a lot of entities on that sheet, I narrowed it further by hiding layers. Could have used the same approach, but I found it faster to do a list of all the entities on the sheet to figure out which layers were involved, and then tested those 1 by one.

This lead me to the SYMBOLS sheet and FURNITURE layer if my mind serves me correctly.

Still a bunch of visible entities, so I just proceeded erasing a good bunch of them at a time, retrying between each batch. Turns out that the problem still persisted after deleting all visible entities. And that makes it easy to find the culprits, since the last step is now just doing a info -> list, then hit a (or right click o get the selection menu and select all) and do it. And voila, the list command shows me the culprits.

I have no idea why these corrupted entities show up in the first place. I've never had that happen to me personally, but maps with corrupted entities like that do show up in the forums every now and then. And this also brings up the point why it is so difficult to fix those bugs, they're nearly impossible to reproduce. A corrupted map posted by a user don't show how it happened, and the developers struggle to reproduce it so they can find and fix the issues. I don't find anything familiar with the way you describe CC3+ yourself. Granted, I have experienced crashes every now and then, but it's not something that happens often. And my maps have never corrupted.

JimPtrechrironLoopysue
  • Items outside the map border happen to me occasionally. Rarer these days, but they do happen.

My computer will hiccup, and the symbol I was about to place isn't on the map.

I zoom extents, and see my map shrink to nothing. Sometimes I don't notice until the next hour, next day, etc.

I find mine by doing a rectangular erase on each of the 4 map sides. When it says there is an object there. But I don't see it, I do a list in the same rectangle. And find my lost symbol. Erase it. Zoom extents again, and unless there are more of ghem,them, map returns visibly so I can continue.

I save as with a different number on the filename and continue mapping.

trechriron
  • The corruption you are experiencing could well be computer related, not program related.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

By any chance do you have a high-end gaming mouse?

• Not a gaming mouse. I have the logitech thumb trackball.

Just out of curiosity, what is the model number of the trackball? I ask because some high-resolution and high report-rate devices can (in some cases) emit a rapid stream of mouse move messages that are at a higher resolution than the screen. It's possible that CC3+ isn't properly handling this case. The unusual scale values for the symbol entities suggests that there might have been a sequence like this during a scale change (the mouse correctly reported motion smaller than a single pixel, which CC3+ translated to a computed change of zero and a divide-by-zero error that wasn't caught internally). I am speculating here, of course.

@trechriron How long have you had this thumb trackball? And have you used it on other maps before this one?

(Just trying to work out if what Joe suggests is more or less likely to be the case before I go and get one myself to see if I can break something)

• I have had one like it and a previous model for 10+ years. I have used it on previous maps. I have had this zoom issue happen before, but I didn't know what it was. I just deleted the map and started over.

I wish PF had a crash reporter built into the app. When something goes wrong you can a) hit a button and send a report with stack trace and pertinent info and b) when the app crashes, it automatically sends that report to PF.

I've seen other apps do this, and it would go a long way to discovering these "side cases" that are hard to reproduce.

It is a shame that you didn't report it sooner, but hindsight is no practical use to anyone - least of all you and me.

I will see if my finances can stretch to a thumb trackball. Do you have the model number?

• I have a bog standard Logitech M570 - and do NOT experience any weird normalities...

• Is there someway to limit placement of any objects outside the map border?

edited December 2020

No. Drawing tools have the option to be limited to the map border, but you cannot limit standard entities, like symbols. But your issue didn't have anything to do with them being outside the map border.

Hmmm. It will be at least a month before I can get that one.

Maybe someone else already has one?

That's a fancy pointer device! It (Logitech MX Ergo Wireless Trackball Mouse) can also do computer-to-computer bridging, which would make the IT security folks at my workplace turn all of the shades of the rainbow (in appropriately-regimented sequence, of course) if they saw such a thing.

It isn't extremely high resolution, suggesting that my original thought about dpi issues might not be the underlying cause. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question on mouse model.