Community Atlas - Dunor Valley - Helmdal Region

Here is a continuation of my mapping the Dunor valley in detail using the Local Area style (issue 104).

This is the Helmdal region, containing one of the named towns on the original map by Hadrian VI (whom I miss). Map notes will be posted later.

Comments

• Really great map! I like the water texture/effect and really like the ridges SE of Helmdal.

If you're looking for feed back, there are a couple of things that I found a bit distracting. The grid sheet is on top of text and city symbols rather than below it. Secondly, the scale text is quite small compared to other text elements.

• Sorry about the grid - I usually leave it off overland maps. I will relook at the scale text, thanks for the critique - very helpful.

• 2 months later
  • MstrCat's comments taken into account

Map Notes:

Helmdal Region

The main site here is the market town of Helmdal, population 4500, situated on the Dunor region, which is still navigable by medium-sized ships. The headman is Mayor Hansel Gutwein, a middle-aged half-orc, who by his easy manners, and honed diplomacy has won the trust of the townsfolk. In fact, he is a scheming and corrupt individual, resorting to selective blackmail, and shady property dealings. The blackmail often does not involve money, but IOU’s.

The Grunor river joins the Dunor here – but is navigable only by small low-bottomed barges and boats, due to rocky outcrops and sandbars at its entrance and west bank. On its east bank are tall foreboding cliffs, home to many birds, and bats, including vampire bats.

A small elven village with 286 population is on the Dunor’s southern banks, led by Treewarden Linderas Galathoniel. Their main task is to care for the surrounding forest, and trade with Helmdal with exchange of their herbs and fruits in exchange for meat and wool. Folk here too have fallen victim to the half-orc mayor’s charms. Several of its folk who have engaged in shady business or affairs they would rather not let others know about are also victims of Hansel’s blackmail.

To the north in the scrublands where many cattle and sheep are herded by the Helmdalers, is an ancient pagan henge, obviously still in use by the occasional nomad half-orcs which roam the northern plains.

Two obelisks at the eastern end of the main road between Dunor City and the eastern settlements, mark the end of Helmdal’s influence.