Updating old maps

I have posted my Wine Merchant maps to my Gallery.

This was done in CC2pro some time ago, how would you go about doing an update of a map like this to CC3+. The obvious first step is to use the cc2 to cc3 conversion process in CC3, but that only sorts out the layers & sheets to cc3 standards. The original of this map had 5 sheets and after conversion everything is still on those 5 sheets. So I guess the first thing to do is to move the stuff on each sheet so you can see the whole building as one or do you make 5 separate maps?

Comments

• OOPs, This in the wrong Category can it be moved over to another Category?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Am I understanding you right here that each sheet is one floor, so that all the floors are in the same map file?

In CC3+, because of things like sheets effects and such, maps tends to use a lot of sheets, so it is generally better to use one map per floor. Although it is possible to keep it as one map too, but then the macros hiding the sheets must be updated to hide the complete set of sheets. With some nice naming you can do this rather easily by taking advantage of the HIDESHTF and SHOWSHTF commands which hides and show sheets by a wildcard filter, so for example all sheets for floor 1 could be named FLOOR1_SOMETHING and so on.

LoopysueJimP
  • It should be possible to set up each floor in the building as one Layer in CC3+ as an alternative, which might make it easier to show and hide the various levels without resorting to macros, still using just the one map. The various elements of each floor level could then go on the same Sheet as one another as usual, but will be hidden unless their specific floor's Layer is shown.

• Monsen,

Yes. The original map, following the correct procedure of the time, had 5 sheets + common. with all of the parts of the map of different layers. So when you run the converter you get all the CC3 sheets + the original 5 sheets. All of the parts of the maps are on the 5 original sheets, except the background, and border. It appears that the converter set up the hot spots as you suggested.