which is the best format for export for battlemaps

The other day, I exported one of my maps in a png file and it looked horrible the further I zoomed into it. I was wondering, is there a preferred export function I don't know which would be better jpeg, gif or something else entirely. Any ideas.

Aramis

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The most important point when exporting to an image is to set an appropriate export resolution. Personally, when I export battlemaps, I export them at a minimum of 100 pixels per grid square (usually 5' squares) for a decent quality. Of course, the higher the resolution, the larger the image, so you will often need to consider the tradeoff between quality and smaller file size if you are using it online in a VTT or similar unless everyone involved have very fast connections.

Png is the better format, but it is also about 6 times as large as jpg, so often even if jpg is a lower quality for the same size image, you can get a better export overall at the same file size with jpg because you can go higher in the resolution.

But in any case, you will never get the same quality of an image as you get in CC3+. An image consists of a fixed set with pixels, and quality will always decrease as you zoom in. To a certain degree, that is true in CC3+ too, but CC3+ keeps a set of 4 images around for each fill and symbol, and shows you a better version as you zoom in, something you cannot get in an image format.

DaishoChikaraAramisdanteLoopysueWyvernjcsamuelson
  • That is amazing. I always wondered why my maps looked so much better in CC3. Now I know. I didn't know about the export pixel function have never had a need before COVID, this is my first foray into VTT so that tradeoff you were talking about probably saved me a lot of future grief with players down the line. Thanks Monsen you are a fount of knowledge.

Sincerely Aramis

Note that if you have a large CC3+ maps and just need a section of it in higher detail, you can use the rectangular section export option, this allow you to export that small section in the same size as you would normally do for the entire map.

Aramisdante
  • Hmmm. This export function discussion makes me wonder if I am doing the wrong thing by printing as a PDF? My maps are usually sized at 22 inches tall by 34 inches wide, but I have some that are much larger made up of 8 - 15 individual sheets.

Thoughts?

• Most vtt I have looked at have a faq or suggestion page of the battle map sizes and pic format they work best with.

Aramisdante

Exporting to an image takes longer time than printing to a pdf, but it gives you better control over the end result. Generally, images are better suited for post-processing than a pdf as well.

Loopysue
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I've never printed to pdf, but this is really useful to know. Thanks, Remy :)

• Thanks to everyone Monsen I was just wondering how to export a smaller version of an area map and you answered my question before I could ask it. LOL. Thanks

JimP I didn't know that about VTT export support I will look at that now.

Sincerely Aramis

• You're welcome.

I thought they would be similar, but one suggested 2000 x 2000 pixels. The rest were much smaller.

• @Monsen I gave EXPORT a try for my covering force map. As you know, it is pretty massive.

I go to Tools|Options and select the JPG/BMP/PNG button and set the values as:

width=13 inches

height = 19 inches

Select Anti-Alias and set it to Medium

Deselect Crop Image to Map Border

Click OK and return to the Options GUI, where I leave everything set to default.

Click OK and nothing appears to happen. (I think this is expected.)

Then I go to Save As and select PNG Bitmap File,

then select Options where everything is set as described above, then select OK and return to the Save As dialog and Push Save

The program reports it is rendering and then apparently crashes while rendering, but creates a file which I can open with my editor and it as shown below.

I suspect this due to the large size of my file and not anything I am doing wrong.

Note: Sometimes when I print to PDF the program apparently crashes, but produces the complete map.

I am not sure that I would want to use export to produce my production map for printing because the map is 34 inches wide x 44 inches tall (actually the map image is smaller than that).

Am I doing something wrong or am I just operating at the edge of the envelope for this particular map?