[FT3] Settings to make single-island maps

I am currently worldbuilding with the idea of a world which is an endless plane of sky, sparsely populated by floating islands. I know I can use CC3+ to make my islands, but I was toying with the idea of using FT3 for this.

After playing with the settings, I am unable to achieve a satisfying result, and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to set FT3 up so that it will make a map that primarily comprises one large island (continent), surrounded by water-which-I-will-assume-is-really-sky.

If it just can't be set to do that, no biggie. I can massage the maps it does make using editing tools, or just make my islands in CC3+. ;-)

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season!

Comments

• I typically generated a world. Export the png, then use IrfanView to copy out what I wanted. Then insert it into cc3, using it as a guide.

I pick a template to insert it into to make an island. Some of the islands on my Crestar site were continents in ft3.

DaishoChikara
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you edit the maps I would go to the Editing tab in the World Settings, switch on the Allow Prescale Offset Editing, set a reasonably high Custom editing size (8190 is maximum), click Apply, and then use the Prescale Raise and Lower brushes with extremely low power and nice and large. They are less damaging to the underlying fractal and will give better overall results.

DaishoChikara
  • I usually use 5000 for my Custom size, as it makes quite good detail and also doesn't make gigantic file sizes. And yes, the prescale editing is the way to go here. (It's no secret, one of my favorite learning resources so far has been the One Day Worldbuilder. I wonder who wrote that awesome article?) ;-)

• Okay, I think I've hit on a good compromise: I created a world in FT3 with standard world size settings, but played with the dials until I got a world composed mostly of islands. This actually gives me many to work from all at once. I'll trim here and fatten there, then run the One Day Worldbuilder process on the whole map. Once I have the map finished in FT3, instead of exporting the whole thing, I'll choose an island at a time to export into CC3+ for the rest of the treatment. Easy peasy, and I only have to run the FT3/Wilbur processes once! ;-)

LoopysueJimP[Deleted User]