Wishlist for CC4

13»

Comments

• Seems like Linux is a better choice for a new platform these days than a macOS.

Someone said much earlier.. Or a way long time ago in a thread far far away.. That some of the functionality of the underlying program was intentionally gimp'd so that people couldn't use CC as an inexpensive alternative to a 'real' CAD program. With the other alternatives out there in 2021, is this really still a thing to be concerned about? I could see not building the same toolset on top of the engine, but not disabling core functionality.

Not exactly a line of site export but it made me think of.. Whatever happened to Realms Overseer, or City Overseer or whatever it was?
    roflo1
  • I've used AutoCAD. CC3, etc. is not a straight forward CAD program. It uses a CAD engine. A difference.

doubledangaming
  • 29 days later
  • Just wanted to voice that I would personally love CC4 (and the remaining software) to be available on Mac without Parallels (or other Windows Emulation). I often find myself wanting to use the software, but not wanting to sit at my desktop to do all the work. And if done right, these new M1 chips would make the program super fluid.

However, instead of just developing for M1/Mac specific, it may be worth seeing if there's a Linux focused build that can be extended to MacOS to get the best of both worlds with minimal extra work?

roflo1
  • 64 bit processing would be a big improvement. Also I would love a way to restore to original install state.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

@Glitch Which elements of the program do you find limited by being a 32-bit program that 64-bit processing would improve? That's not intended to be a snippy question, I'm just trying to understand the limitations here.

• Time spent redrawing - I understand that I can work faster without effect on, but early on in the learning curve it is helpful to see the impact of what you are doing. Often when working without effects, and then turning them on it takes significant time to process. Occassionally, it looks like I may be caught in a processing loop - I know it sounds strange but it seems to break the loop if I press file save in the ring menu. I suspect this my be the result of the improper use of effect or maybe the order that they are applied - but I assume with a broader workspace this could be resolved faster.

• @Glitch - Something else you might try is having a second window with another program (such as Windows Explorer) on full screen mode, so it hides the CC3+ window completely. This helps stop the looping as much, and you can check the thumbnail view to see when the CC3+ screen is showing correctly again. I spotted Ralf did exactly this on this week's livestream at one point, so I know it's not just me who finds this helps sometimes!

GlitchLoopysueWeathermanSweden
  • I use and prefer a Mac -- but just guessing -- I would think that porting over to macOS would be a huge task. If so, I'd prefer that effort be spent in the Windows version.

But hey, if it could be done -- I certainly wouldn't complain!

ThomasHendrichJimP
  • @Wyvern I agree - I use this 'technique' often with my big city maps, with good effect. Found out about it by accident a couple of years back.

• 3 months later
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited March 2022
    Three related wishes for CC4:
    1. Hexagonal hotspots to use on hex grid maps so clicking on a certain hex will get a certain thing done.
    2. The feature on Traveller Sector maps that loads data from https://travellermap.com/ is fine but I seldom am interested in a whole sector. One that loaded a single subsector map would be more useful to me.
    3. If the above feature generated map notes for each world from metadata collected from the site that could be viewed by clicking the world's hex (see point 1) it would be perfect.
    (Okay, I may have been spending too much time on the Citizens of the Imperium site lately.  ;) )