(solved) Trying to recreate cliff effect shown in advertised map

KingadeeKingadee Newcomer
edited December 2020 in Community Support

Quick TLDR as I know I tend to make large text walls, sorry about that.

I want to recreate the map used to advertise city designer 3. I've figured out how to recreate almost everything, except that the advertisement for city designer 3 has a cool cliff wall effect (circled in red). Is this a built in feature like the cliff painting tool tied to one of the annual cartogrophers, or is it just the result of some awesome work using layers and sheet effects in a smart way.

Now for the full thing

Good Afternoon,

I've recently purchased the humble bundle license of the program, and have been trying to figure out, through intro tutorials, video tutorials, etc, how to recreate elements from the preview map they show to advertise the program. (circled in red)

So far, I've figured out most things through the resources available, using sheet effects to create shadows (or the built in methods), laying out the cities, creating bridges land and water etc, creating a key for areas and turning on the default lighting/glow effects, albeit im still a bit clumsy with the UI.

The one thing I'm really struggling is figuring out how they created the cliff effect they show off here. Originally, I figured that it was a layering of handmade sheet effects and using the layers to create the illusion of a cliff face/lighting rather than using default lighting, however, after watching some tutorials, I'm starting to suspect that I must be missing something. I've browsed through the forums and seen a few responses on creating hills, but in some tutorial videos, I'm seeing built in cliff effects that you can draw, but those seem to be for a different purpose/style of cliff and are tied to one of the annual cartogropher versions, not included, and as such, I'm guessing that they don't relate to the cliff effect in the advertisement. (IE this, which I understand I dont have access to without buying an add on https://youtu.be/yWVbqY8Wxag?t=364 )

How did they create the cliff faces shown in the advertising material? Is there a cliff option that I've just completley overlooked, or is it just some really skillfull work with the sheet effects and proper use of layers? I know this is a bit silly to get hooked up on, but the preview image is what sold me on picking up the program in the first place

I actually (mistakenly) thought city designer, dungeon designer, and campaign cartogropher were 3 seperate programs and picked the bundle up just to get city designer because the map just looked that good to me, hence wanting to figure out how to recreate this map, and then after managing that, playing around with making my own maps.

Thankyou

Comments