Noob question I am sure...

Hello,

I am in the process of working on my first overland map on the software (a traced map from paper)

. There is an image below for reference... Two questions (please point me to the right direction if there is already in on either):

• Is it possible to show gradual elevation gain? The map has mountains with hill stamps, as well as plateau & cliff stamps - But the rest is flat flat - I am thinking some elevation change may be a good way to fill some of the void.
  • There is a large region of the map that is unexplored by society (with the highly unique name of "The Unknown") - Any thoughts or recommendations on adding a fog-of-war type effect over this area?

Thanks!

LoopysueDaltonSpence

Comments

• 1) You can use different colors, or bitmap fills, to show increases in elevation.

2) Just have two maps, one for you and one for the players.

I would give depth to #2, but I'm yawning and would likely mess it up. Someone else will have to give a couple of ways to do that.

Loopysue
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

To hide things from your players, I would consider putting things on different layers, then you can reveal one layer at a time as they explore the area. You'll have to predetermine which chunks to reveal of course, but this is a good idea revealing things piece by piece.

For elevation, as JimP suggested, contours are the best. Since you are using Mike Schely Overland, there is a contour tool called Height Contour in the Minerals/Mountains catalog. It looks white int he preview, but it is transparent, and you can lay multiple on top of each other to lighten it bit by bit.

Loopysue