Editing terrain symbols

Hello - n00b CC3+ user, struggling a bit with the learning curve.

I'm trying (and failing) to edit the terrain fill on map I'm working on. I go to the Symbol Manager, click the symbol I want to alter (CA20 Terrain, Grassland in this case), click Clone, type in CA20 Terrain, Desert, then go back round again and click edit on the Desert symbol. Draw a new window - and it comes up completely blank. Nothing in it at all.

Is it possible to edit this fill, or not?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

This isn't a symbol, it is a drawing tool. The "thing" in the symbol catalog is a fake symbol to allow drawing tools to be show in the symbol catalog.

You'll need to edit the drawing tool itself, but note that the fill used by this tool is a hatch style, which is a fill defined in a separate drawing found in @Hatch Styles

SimonMDaishoChikaraLoopysue
  • Well, that'll explain a lot... I'll give it another go in the morning!

• Okay, so in case someone else is struggling with this.

1. Clone and rename an existing terrain fill 'symbol' in Symbol manager.
    2. Open the file manager outside of CC3+, navigate to Hatch Styles, and copy and rename an existing terrain file texture.
    3. You can directly edit this inside CC3+. Save.
    4. Go to Draw>Custom Drawing Tools, you'll see your renamed terrain in the list. Click it and go to advanced. The texture is under Outline, not Properties. Change the texture to the new one you've just edited. Save.
    5. Profit.
    LoopysueDaishoChikara