CC3 wont let me draw anything outside of a square that covers a small part of my map pls help

Im new to this but everything worked perfectly till now. For some reason i cannot draw any land, river, anything outside of this square (i can draw on the other part of the triangle ). The grid is disabled, snap is also off and i dont know what else i should do.

i put a lot of work into this file and really dont want to abandon it. can anyone help please?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

What happens here is that CC3+'s drawing tools are set to stop at the map border, and the map border itself is identified by entities on the MAP BORDER layer. What has happened here is that you have somehow gotten some extra entities on that layer, which basically redefines the map border.

Open up the layers dialog by clicking on the L: indicator in the status bar. Hide all layers except MAP BORDER. It should now be quite obvious which entities do not belong here. The map border itself should normally just be a thin outline around your map, there shouldn't be anything in the middle. Now either Erase the offending entities, or just use Change Properties to move them to another layer.

Arkane
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

No need to abandon it. We can sort it out.

First, open your layers dialog by clicking once where it says L:MINERALS/MOUNTAINS in your image above. Select the MAP BORDER layer, and hide all the rest of them. Then click apply.

What you should see (what is supposed to be there) is a set of four lines or a rectangle demarking the extent of your map - like the edge of the picture. If there is anything else on that layer it needs to be deleted or moved to a different layer using the change properties tool. If the rectangle that's meant to be there is the wrong size (in this case I suspect it might be way too small) it will need to be adjusted, or deleted and redrawn. If you need to adjust it turn on the Snap and use the node move tool to pick up the corners and put them in the right place.

If you get muddled up about which layer and sheet things are on at any stage just remember that most of the time there is always a way to fix it.

EDIT: Haha - Ninjad by Remy :)

• Thank you very much. When tinkering with future regions borders i set them to the map border Sheet thinking it would work well for them. Now i know better. CC3 is an amazing too but i have a long way ahead of me till i truly understand it.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Make sure to don't confuse Sheets and Layers. This problem is related to the MAP BORDER layer, using the MAP BORDER sheet isn't an issue. Although both are used for map border stuff, so neither is suitable for in-map borders like country borders and such.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I try to avoid having a MAP BORDER sheet at all in the styles I create. There's more likely to be a FRAME sheet if I have been involved - no chance of any confusion then.

However, that really doesn't help with older templates where there are sheets and layers named the same thing.