Questions from a newbie about using ProFantasy Software

Hey everyone! I am new to the Profantasy software and I have a couple questions. Any help is really appreciated! I just downloaded some mapping programs - CC3+, City Designer 3, Dungeon Designer 3, Perspectives 3, and the Battlemap and Floor Plan collection. To properly utilize them all, do I need to have five separate shortcuts on my desktop? Or are they all wrapped up together into one definitive shortcut? Also, with the Source Map files, Symbol sets, and token treasury – will they all be a part of the CC3+ program or are they completely independent? My ultimate goal is to have the appropriate shortcuts on my desktop to make the mapping process as smooth and complication free as it can be.

Comments

• lionbladelionblade Newcomer
    edited December 2020

Hi, I'm new as well, but my understanding is that you install CC3+ first, then the rest. They just add on to CC3+, and then you open that application, and then have access to all the features/symbols/etc added by the others.

• Hey Lionblade! I have installed all the software I purchased - you are right, CC3+ needed to be installed first (I learned that the hard way). And everything else is just installed into the folder already made for CC3+? When using these programs, how do I differentiate between using CC3+, City Designer and Dungeon Designer? How do I use Perspectives 3?

• Yep I believe it uses the same install path.

You can select which you want to start in when you create a new map. (CC3, DD3, etc.) It has like a template in the wizard.

You can also toggle between symbols from each by clicking the various buttons in the application for CC3, DD3, CD3, PER.

Pro tip I just learned... when selecting the map size in the wizard, it is NOT pixels (pixel size is determined only when you save as a JPG, PNG, etc.) It is in fact "units". When doing Overland, if not metric, it is in miles. Cities and dungeons, it is feet. The symbols default "normal" settings are scaled to those "unit" sizes.

• Cool, thanks Lionblade!! If I have anymore questions, I will post them here! Thanks again!

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 278 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

And don't forget to run the latest update last.

As for which one you are about to use, there is a row of ico0ns, below the menus at the topp of the program, just hover your mouse pointer over them. They will show a note what each on is.

SS1 and SS2 do not have icons. You browse to them using the menu just about the symbols on the left side.

For me personally, I have a folder where I save as all of my maps. Each of my web sites has one folder under that top folder, that way if I want to work on the Community Atlas, I have a short cut on my desktop that goes right to the Atlas folder, or a short cut to my Tunnels and Traolls maps, etc.

DaishoChikara
  • Thanks for the heads up, JimP! I appreciate your advice. I am still incredibly new with Profantasy, so I am still trying to feel me way around and learn as much as I can. How do I get the latest update(s)? Out of the list I mentioned on my inital post with this thread, which programs have patches/updates? And your comment about making your own maps folder is a fantastic idea! What is the Community Atlas?

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The update is downloaded from your registration page.

There is just a single update file (found among the CC3+ downloads) that will update CC3+ and all the installed add-ons. It should always be installed last, and if you install a new add-on at a later stage, reinstalling the latest update is always a good idea because it might contain update to the new add-on you just installed.

The community atlas is described here.

LoopysueDaishoChikara
  • Hey Lionblade! I have installed all the software I purchased - you are right, CC3+ needed to be installed first (I learned that the hard way). And everything else is just installed into the folder already made for CC3+? When using these programs, how do I differentiate between using CC3+, City Designer and Dungeon Designer? How do I use Perspectives 3?

First of all, don't think of the add-ons as separate programs from CC3+. Installing an add-on literally adds new features and files to the basic program and files. To select a particular set of features click the icon related to that add-on.
     Note that each add-on has a set of new map templates associated with it. While it is technically possible to use any add-on with any map style the results can be iffy if you don't know what you are doing. This forum and the blog can provide you with a lot of advice to help you get started. And don't be afraid to ask questions: there are many smart people around here who just want to help.
    LoopysueDaishoChikara
  • Hey DaltonSpence!! Thanks for your post and your help!! I did some poking around CC3+, I found the tabs at the top of the screen that signify what set of icons and all. But I thank you for the heads up! And if I have any more questions, I will either post on this thread or make a new one. Thanks again!

• @NeveroddoreveN, not wanting to preempt things and predict stuff that may not happen, but while the learning curve is steep and can cause confusion early in your journey, this is tremendously powerful software and the time put in is well worth the effort. You'll always find answers here from the experts (not me!), so if you're stuck don't hesitate to ask questions as has been suggested and as you've said.

• OverCriticalHit - Thanks so much for your post!! I had heard that CC3+ has that really steep learning curve, and I will put in the time to learn the ins and outs of utilizing everything the software. I appreciate your support and advice!!

• The tutorials are very helpful.