Q on Copywrite & Licence

Hi, I Just Bought a few items to add to my mapping possabilities and it looks good enough to distribute or even sell! But I would really like to know where I stand on some things, so can you answer in as few words as possible the Qs below thanks.

If I distribute with a VTT maps I make with your software and some tokens from you also, can I distribute it as a game. NO assets distributed just the finished Map , But the tokens would be included too, can I distribute for free? and can I even sell it? I only have profantasy installed on one PC! and can I use things that are made by you such as completed Maps that I have bought from you?

I ask these things because Profantasy has stimulated my creative juiced its so good, and Im a gamer so games in a VTT is what I intend making. BUT I dont know what my rights are to distribute free or old? one of my worries is using tokens with the maps because they can be removed from the game as an asset, so can i include them?

Thankyou profantasy for a great app, the more I buy the better it gets, keep making addons please!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Gameleaper :)

Going on the EULA, and on Profantasy Team comments on similar threads, I suspect the answer to quite a few of those questions is a 'no'.

The EULA can be found here: https://www.profantasy.com/service/license.asp

Don't worry - Its not one of those really long ones.

If you are still in any doubt after reading it the safest way to go is by contacting PF through your Technical Support contact form on your account page.

gameleaper
  • In a nut shell, maps you create are fine. Anything that you distribute that is purely Profantasy artwork, i.e. tokens from token treasury, .png symbols for traps and such are not. Tokens you create from character portraits created in CA3 would most probably not be an issue. The best thing as @Loopysue said is to read the EULA, and if you’re still not sure contact PF with an enquiry and be very specific about what your intentions are.

gameleaper
  • thanks guys , the EULA, but dosnt cover tokens,i will have to ask someone

• Tokens are definitely copyrighted. You can make your own using Character Artist, though; or your OWN pictures.

Tokens, along with all the other artwork, are part of the "OUR ARTWORK" defined in the EULA.

gameleaper
  • i got an answer and others may be interestd so im posting here, but i thought maps consist predominantly of 

floorplan-resolution exports

quote"

there is no problem, you can sell any maps you create with our 

software. You can only install it on one computer at a time when using our 

software commercially, but there is no limit to removing and reinstalling 

it on new computers.

There is one exception for selling maps created with our software, listed 

in our EULA:

"You may not produce commercial products which consist predominantly of 

floorplan-resolution exports of OUR ARTWORK without written permission 

from ProFantasy Software Ltd. This includes but is not limited to PDF 

dungeon tiles."

• just got that floorplan-resolution are miniture scale maps, so a normal map is ok. so that means i cant distribute VTT games

• not produce commercial products" so maybe free VTT games may be ok?

• edited December 2020

You’re missing the point. You can create dungeon maps, for print and VTT, commercially just not in a manner that makes it easy to decompile the image into its component parts. The best thing to do, is draw a map and send it to PF and ask the question. Ralf and the team are very helpful in this regard. They do not want to restrict users getting their artwork out there, but they do want make sure the software and art packs are not misused.

Distributing art that breeches the EULA, regardless of whether it’s done for profit, is not allowed. So giving it away free will make no difference, particularly if it’s done as a “freebie” extra for a paid product.

gameleaperDaishoChikara

What Simon Rogers says on this thread is key to your request about the tokens in particular. Simon is our Managing Director, so whatever he says on the matter is the final word.

Using DD/CC symbols in Roll20 as tokens instead of map symbols — ProFantasy Community Forum

gameleaperDaishoChikara
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Best approach here is simply to contact ProFantasy using the licensing question email listed on the contact page.

Explain exactly what you want to do, be precise, and explain the different scenarios (for example, making maps and distributing with the program is a different thing entirely from distributing tokens), and they will tell you if this is ok or not.

Users here cannot give you anything but their view on the EULA, ProFantasy can both give you the correct interpretation, as well as give you permissions where they are needed.

LoopysuegameleaperDaishoChikara
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

For reference, my answer to the support request:

"You can only distribute complete maps you've done with our software, not the Token Sets. You can use the Tokens in your own VTT sessions and within that share them with your players, but you can't bundle them up and distribute them on the net with a vtt module."

LoopysuegameleaperDaishoChikara
  • sorry! i just need one more Q, can i distribute miniature scale maps i have made with profantasy sofftware in my VTT for free? you have a restriction on floorplan-resolution maps, and my VTT will be primarily for miniatures? i know im being a bother , im just finingout my restriction before i start work on games

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

The restriction on floorplan-resolution maps is for commercial use only. So, as long as you're not selling them, you're good.

gameleaper
  • I'm so sorry to ask another Question but can I make my own tokens using Character Artist and distribute them with the map and my VTT for free?. I promise this is the last question, I am just finding out what path to take with your fantastic software - I truly mean this I have had other art app but profantasy is on a level of its own. As an apology for being a bother, if this answer is yes , I will go and buy Character Artist.