Change text sizes in pop-up boxes?

So now that I'm on a 1440p display, I've noticed that the text sizes displayed in pop-up windows when I use functions like Area or Distance is REALLY small. Since it's just a bunch of numbers smushed together (and when I measure area in my modern city maps, it really is a LOT of numbers; that map uses square meters so measuring an entire borough gets me something like 14,342,873 as a result, only in CC3+ the number displayed has no commas), it can be hard to read when the text is that small without basically standing up from my chair and leaning forward to put my face right in front of the monitor. Even back when I was limited to a 1080p monitor, I had this issue at times with especially long numbers; it's just more pronounced now.

Short of changing global Windows 10 settings to make everything appear larger, is there a way within CC3+ to change how these info pop-up windows are displayed?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

No. These boxes follow the global windows font sizes, as the dialogs in most programs do.

• Now, it USED to be that you could independently change the font for the dialog boxes in Windows. I think they stopped that a couple of years ago, because of ...reasons?

Does anyone know of a way?

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

There isn't a way to do what you ask directly in CC3+. You could use the Windows magnifier tool (Windows Key and plus key to start, Windows key and ESC key to exit).

• CielCiel Traveler

Gotcha. Shame there isn't a way, but honestly I kinda figured that was the case - as was pointed out, most dialog windows in most Windows apps don't allow you to resize them independently.

Even more of a shame if you used to be able to change the font sizes for dialogs in Windows but can't anymore, lol. Thanks Microsoft. Ah well, I'll decide if I want to just deal with it, or make some global changes and have everything be a bit bigger. Thanks for the replies everyone.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

You can actually change the font size, but MS hid it away. It was used in the old times to help vision impaired users mostly by providing themes with larger text, but it was mostly replaced when Windows introduced the whole screen scaling. I guess they thought individually changing screen elements got too complicated for most people. They may also have hidden it because not all programs play nice with the setting. I've seen a lot of program assume the setting is the default value, thus leading the text to overflow or disappear. One of the things I talk to my students when doing UI design is just things like that, getting things right even if the user may have changed settings.

This site gives you a way to change it both by downloading a program or by registry change.

• That is a good useful site.