Problem with layers

Hello All,

I have been tinkering with CC+ on and off for a few years and maybe I have forgotten something or the layering system has changed but I cant get an inner sea to show no matter what sheet I put it on. Or layer for that matter. I have attached a few examples, also no matter what I change it always reverts back and I can't figure it out. I have tried watching youtube for examples but havent' run across this same problem. Any help would be appreciated at this point, getting very frustrated, lol. Thanks ahead of time.

? This is what it reverts to everytime I change the layer or sheet.

This is what I tried.

Then this, what am I doing wrong. It keeps reverting to the first image no matter what I change.

One last thing, I have changed properties with rivers, mountains, etc and not encountered this problem.

Answers

• Create a new sheet (not layer) and name it something like INNER SEA. Put it on top of your terrain sheet that the land is on (what ever that sheet is called). Then it should show where you want it. Layers won't have anything to do this order the symbols are drawn. You need the Inner Sea to be drawn on top of the terrain sheet.

JimP
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Also note that the change properties dialog defaults to the currently active settings as shown on the status bar, they are NOT showing the properties of the currently selected entity, so nothing is "reverting back" here.

Aramisdante
  • Ok Chr9s, I believe I followed your instructions correctly but still no joy. Either I am still doing something wrong or maybe my program is corrupted because it did not work.

Sea is still below land whenever I redraw/refresh map. Just to clarify S = Sheets and L = Layers still as in the image below or has it changed.

Because if I am reading you right, the SHEETS determine order of appearance and not the LAYERS function. If this is so how come I see this.

I have tried bringing to front and your suggestion but neither works. I think something is wrong because it appears backwards to me. This is what my map looks like and am trying to put a sea in the open area.

Maidhc O Casain
  • Thank you MONSEN, I did not realize that. It was driving me crazy. LOL

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

@Aramisdante wrote

Ok Chr9s, I believe I followed your instructions correctly but still no joy. Either I am still doing something wrong or maybe my program is corrupted because it did not work.

From your screenshot, the Inners Seas sheet is below the land sheet. Remember, that the order in that dialog is drawing order. The program starts by drawing the first (topmost) sheet in the list, then it draws the next and so on. Since your Inner Seas is drawn before Land, then land will cover it up when drawn.

Because if I am reading you right, the SHEETS determine order of appearance and not the LAYERS function. If this is so how come I see this.

Because you are actually hiding things. When you hide the layer something is on, it WILL disappear and you will see what was previously hidden below it, but that doesn't have anything with ordering. Layers in CC3+ is basically a form of grouping.

• Ok I have it working thanks to the both of you. I thought the sheets had to be placed ABOVE the sheets your trying to show, its opposite that I didn't realize that everything working fine now, thanks so much. I am a bit rusty ?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Aramisdante :)

I'm not sure what is going on here, but before we try to figure it out from the final appearance end of everything we should check that the installation all went according to plan.

Please can you confirm that you turned off your AV and installed everything by right clicking the installer and picking "Run as administrator", and that you installed CC3+ first followed by all the add-ons?

Have you downloaded and installed the latest CC3+ update?

Can you definitely remember allowing CC3+ to open each time it wanted to open at the end of each installation?

• Hi Loopysue,

Yes everything appears to have installed correctly. I followed the instructions on the Profantasy website. I am just a bit rusty on my CC3 haven't used it in a couple of years. I just recently retired and found the joy in VTT, LOL. Using Fantasy Grounds Unity and have found no shortage of players for a DM to work with. Just learning that VTT system and CC3+ at the same time, might be biting off more than I can chew.

I do have a couple of questions though maybe you can answer. Hyperlinks and bookmarks, are there any youtube videos specifically on those two subjects and can they work with VTT or are they only integral within CC3+. My two major sources of learning any program are Youtube and Forums. There are so many functions within CC3+ and only so many are covered in any detail. One example I can think of at the top of my head are SHEET EFFECTS, there are so many but I have only seen about 10 of them used showing how they work. I would love to see how all the others function as well.

I think it was Joe Sweeney in one of his videos who said to just make a map and play with it. I think I should take that advice, but that is just one example. The fill style properties can be downright confusing at times. I watch RALF's videos and he makes things seem so easy. I could use him as a lifeline LOL. Anyways thanks for trying to help and have a wonderful holiday season.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Aramisdante :)

Here's a confession. I have no idea why I made that last comment above when Remy and Chris had already solved the matter. At a guess I probably drafted it, abandoned it, then posted it by mistake a couple of days later. It feels completely out of place.

However, it's there now, and its prompted you to ask a question I can answer, so here we go :)

I don't generally use bookmarks, but I believe they only operate within CC3. Hyperlinks are certainly only within CC3.

I learned sheet effects by reading the brief description of what each of them does in the manual and then playing with the ones I understood (and then some of the ones I didn't understand) for many hours, days and weeks, until I figured out how to get whatever specific visual result I was after. I can't remember seeing any videos made specifically about sheet effects bar one, and that was attached to a blog about sheet effects called "Day and Night" by Remy Monsen.

There are quite a number of blog articles about sheet effects. You might want to have a read of some of Remy's articles if you have time:

Here are some of mine, though they tend to concentrate on coastal and oceanic effects.

Happy Christmas yourself! :)

JimP
  • Hi Loopysue,

Thanks for all that information, I will certainly read it all. From the looks of it, everything looks interesting to read. Thanks for all your help. I hope I can return the favor sometime to someone in need as well.

Sincerely Aramis

Loopysue